Woodford County

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi Marie,

Blessed was writing last year in 2006, after allocations.
marie

woodford county

Post by marie »

er..I had lost the plot!! But thanks for being kind.

Re: woodford count

Post by Guest »

me100 wrote:i did the 11+ in 2003 and i am now in year 9. sadly i didnt get in to woodford and i was put on the borderzone. i just found out i am #1 on the list! from being #30 and appealing to finaly get to #17 i am ecstatic! :D :) :lol: :oops: :D

Are you saying that you've been on the waiting list for 3 years!That seems unbelievable!
BikerMice

Post by BikerMice »

Hi

Hope you all have your hopes fulfilled today.

Thanks to all: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1932

BikerMice

Post by 007 »

Hello everyone ,this will be my final post on the site.
As some of you may have been slightly aware,my daughter was not successful so she has no choice but to continue her independent education or go to a very poor rated school.The fees do go up every year ,so my future worry is I don't think I can keep her there until her GCSE's.I wanted my daughter to get in her chosen grammar school without private tuition and months and months of preparation.But I knew that she was up against many children who have been studying for the 11 plus a year before.My point is, If all the children prepared just 8 weeks in advance and not a year my daughter would have been successful.Alas it was not to be.
For everyone on the site who received bad news on Friday,I would like to say how sorry I am and I will hope that in a years time you will look back, like me and say, perhaps it was meant to be. good luck to you all 007
GuestG

Post by GuestG »

Hi

Firstly sorry to hear that your daughter did not get in 007. Also my thoughts go out to all who didn't get what they were hoping for. As has been said by many posters already (in various forums), all our children will succeed, whichever school they go to, becuase of the great support they have from home.

My daughter did gain a place at Woodford. She goes to the local (below average) state school and did not have any external tuition. We helped her at home. A number of her friends (who I would say are as good as if not better than my daughter) also took the test but did not get in. However, they also have not got in to good comp schools in the catchment area becuase they did not put those schools in first place. It breaks my heart to see this. Surely, Grammar schools such as Woodford should not be on the CAF form as such (as they do not have a catchment area similar to comp schools).
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Dear 007, I was very sorry to read that your daughter didn't get through, but at the time I was too heartbroken to post a message.

We have no option of private education - not that I begrudge your daughter hers, but the school we have been offered has just been removed from special measures. We are appealing because the results of our son's test have shocked the whole school and our family. He was so much better than his brother at the same age and his brother got in. His brother is also top in all science subjects, IT and english and got a 778 for his KS3 SAT's, gifted and talented in science and english, represented the school in maths challenge, science challenge, debating society...so imagine what my younger son could achieve!

Obviously there was greater pressure on him to do well but we thought even if he had a bad day due to nerves or whatever, he would still be well within the pass mark. We have the backing of the Head, the class teacher and plenty of academic evidence - all 5's in mock SAT's etc.

If we do not win on appeal - and to be honest we realise that winning is an extremly slim chance, my option would be to send him to the allocated failing school which has just been removed from being under special measures (incidentally my husband has visited this school and describes it as anarchy and chaos!) or apply to another school, which has spaces, and has just received an award for improvements after almost being put on special measures! A friend was Head of Dept there before retiring and said, 'don't send him there it would be suicide!' If I sent our son to either of these schools he would be miserable and hate it, I have no doubt about that.

My option is home-schooling, which I am heartbroken about because our son has so much to give and is so talented, not just academically but musically too. He is currently in a Leadership Skills class at school...and who will be leading in homeschool? Me I guess!

Pray for us at the appeal.
GuestG

Post by GuestG »

Hi Bo Peep

All the best for the appeal.

Although we are pleased for our daughter, there is also sadness and pain having read posts here (and having seen what has happened at our local school, which has no doubt been repeated at many other schools).
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Hi GuestG

Thanks for your sympathy and also for your good wishes. I will be eventually be feeding back on my appeal journey...

So far this site, and the special people on it, have been invaluable to me. It has meant a great deal.

Woodford is a great school I am sure your daughter will love it!
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Dear Bo Peep,

Have been looking all over for you and this is as good a time as any.
Have not been able to tell you again how sorry I am for you and your hardworking,intelligent son.

It's so difficult to see what is going on on the appeal threads and the local forums but it must be 1000 times harder to be in the thick of it!!

My second child did pass his exams and like you, we thought he was better than his brother in his work(hindsight of experience with older one) but were always mindful that anythting could happen in one test day.

The shock must have been so great for you..I would also have been heartbroken to see a chance to shine taken away when there are no reasonable alternatives.

Your task is so taxing and I just want you to know that I really pray and wish you and your family a good outcome. If you don't see me on the Essex forum(i don't get out much) Don't think I've forgotten you.

Thinking of you and all other appellants always and all through the long weeks ahead.