Taking exam in Sep 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chris2020

Taking exam in Sep 2016

Post by chris2020 »

My son is currently preparing to take his exam next September and I thought it would be good to share experiences with other parents who are in the same situation.
My son is doing a holiday course this week and I'm feeling a bit sad if I'm honest. Somehow I feel that he should be playing and enjoying himself during his school holidays but competition is so fierce!
I'm also still confused about the new CEM. Reading so many different things and all I'm looking for is a list of possible things that could come up particularly in English.
Would love to hear from other parents.
Svet

Re: Taking exam in Sep 2016

Post by Svet »

Hi, I am in a similar position, aiming for my son to sit exams next year, but am clearly well behind you in terms of preparation. Only just starting to think about tutoring, school options available etc. If you know which schools you will apply to (is that easy in your area?) I read that it is useful to target the preparation on that basis, and try not to overdo it too (i.e. let your boy to have some fun during the holidays too!). BR
chris2020

Re: Taking exam in Sep 2016

Post by chris2020 »

Svet wrote:Hi, I am in a similar position, aiming for my son to sit exams next year, but am clearly well behind you in terms of preparation. Only just starting to think about tutoring, school options available etc. If you know which schools you will apply to (is that easy in your area?) I read that it is useful to target the preparation on that basis, and try not to overdo it too (i.e. let your boy to have some fun during the holidays too!). BR
We're aiming for Ilford County High but with the whole of Redbridge boys trying to get one of the few places it'll be tough. This year I heard almost 1,000 boys took the exam and only 180 will get a place.

We might try some of the scholarship exams as well for Bankroft and Chigwell School but that very much depends on how he's progressing particularly in English which is his weaker area. The free writing part of these tests isn't something which he enjoys.

Yes, school holidays and fun is a tricky thing during the final year of 11+ preparation. There were almost 250 children attending my son's holiday course which shows how many people are "chasing the dream..."
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now