woodford OR chelmsford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kelwaypops

Re: woodford OR chelmsford

Post by kelwaypops »

I don't like all this Chigwell bashing one sees on this site. Yes, there are some of what one might call 'undesirables' (partly due to its location) however, Chigwell is a FINE school with MANY lovely bright polite children my daughter being one of them. My take on it is quite simply, if your child is bright and has like minded friends they will probably do very well. My DC is doing fantastically and loves it thank you very much. Very frustrating and insulting for posters to imply that Chigwell children 'swear and are in fights'. Sweeping generalization much?????
OldBean

Post by OldBean »

Chigwell is a great school, a very kind, welcoming community, far from a mono culture, which is why we picked it over the other offers. It's lovely with huge grounds and cosy low rise buildings. It is increasingly oversubscribed every year as are all the local academically selective indies. My child is a high achiever, top set and they are worked at a cracking pace. They are so happy there, as are all their friends. The SLT and teaching staff are impressive and staff turnover low. Im not really sure where these stories originate from...
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

hi oldbean, glad to read someone saying something positive about Chigwell other than myself. tbh i have often read negative comments on here when people are discussing bancrofts/chigwell. we didn't even bother trying out for bancrofts purely because it doesn't suit us. The posts i read that triggered my pissed off'ness was in the grammar school essex/redbridge section....have a read! Whilst i do 'get' what they mean, you can't tarnish everyone with the same brush however if you read the posts and as you also have a child there, i am sure you will too! my dd is also a high achiever, she is a music scholar and is thus, a member of the chapel choir so kept extremely busy. I definately observe that having friends who are equally keen on learning tends to be very beneficial. Fortunately, she has no interest in boys and doesn't obsess/put too much importance on what people look like fashion wise/how much money they have. Plenty of children there also like that, contrary to another comment about chigwell 'being all about £££' :)
OldBean

Post by OldBean »

Glad your daughter likes it too Kelway. There must be an awful lot of us delusional parents as everyone I've met is more than happy and feels lucky to have a place at the school. We turned down Bancrofts and Forest places for Chigwell (as did many others) and have no regrets about doing so. I was very impressed on the open day with the depth of understanding and passion the older children had for the subjects they were learning. It was also nice that there is an emphasis on art, drama and music achievement that goes far beyond lip service. I would say that there is at a glance more white, wealthy families there than at the other schools (we are not included in this category :lol: ) but the children seem unaware and there is a culture of good behaviour, respect and kindness. My child was very much welcomed by the existing children and all have mixed well and made friends. Lots are on track to getting a full complement of A* or whatever it's going to become.
Vincakes

Post by Vincakes »

kelwaypops wrote:hi oldbean, glad to read someone saying something positive about Chigwell other than myself. tbh i have often read negative comments on here when people are discussing bancrofts/chigwell. we didn't even bother trying out for bancrofts purely because it doesn't suit us. The posts i read that triggered my pissed off'ness was in the grammar school essex/redbridge section....have a read! Whilst i do 'get' what they mean, you can't tarnish everyone with the same brush however if you read the posts and as you also have a child there, i am sure you will too! my dd is also a high achiever, she is a music scholar and is thus, a member of the chapel choir so kept extremely busy. I definately observe that having friends who are equally keen on learning tends to be very beneficial. Fortunately, she has no interest in boys and doesn't obsess/put too much importance on what people look like fashion wise/how much money they have. Plenty of children there also like that, contrary to another comment about chigwell 'being all about £££' :)
Everyone's experience is different and I stand by what I said, that's my opinion of the children are (the ones in my dc year). I never said it was a bad school but there are better schools out there hence my DC is moving. End of
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

of course that's your opinion. I can't imagine that 'all' of the children in your dc year are into fighting and bragging about money. Equally, of course there are better schools, der. I do hate it when someone finishes with 'end of'. classy
Vincakes

Post by Vincakes »

kelwaypops wrote:of course that's your opinion. I can't imagine that 'all' of the children in your dc year are into fighting and bragging about money. Equally, of course there are better schools, der. I do hate it when someone finishes with 'end of'. classy

Never said all the children are like that, read prior posts but every year group is different with a different mix of kids, the problem is when the majority are like that. What ever I have said has happened from experience, how big is your house? What car/car do you parents drive? (These are the comments from the dc in the year group) this shouldn't matter. And if I child dare say a car which is no in their opinion "appropriate" they get laughed at.

Money has become more important in the kids minds... of course this isn't the teachers fault, but this is happening in Chigwell. Nearly all the children that were offered the scholarship this year are leaving.... there must be a reason for this

I do hope Chigwell improves I had high hope for my DC to remain there but the above and more has made my DC feel inadequate hence we are moving
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

hi vincakes, thanks for your message. i do completely understand what you have said. it saddens me to be able to agree with you as there is most certainly an element of that there although fortunately for us/dd within her year & certainly some above, are some lovely teens' who are not money obsessed. that makes pretty depressing reading with regard to what you said about all your dc's scholars' leaving. i don't know what year your dc is in but blimey, that makes for really depressing reading. we have found that literally none of the 'undesirables' seem to be musically inclined so with regard to music scholars, any musical functions/chapel choir related doos, the flashy types are nowhere to be seen. I am guessing you are talking about academic scholars? it is such a shame as the only downside for me about the school, is some of the attitudes/behaviour of the 'new money' flashy parents who appear to treat their dc's going to chigwell as a kind of badge of honour. From what i have noticed, it is less likely the flashy ones have high achieving dcs....... Anyway, best of luck to you with your dc in your new school.
Vincakes

Post by Vincakes »

You're very lucky that your DC is happy and has more grounded children around and yes I meant academic scholars, out of all the ones that achieved a scholarship, only 2 are staying, which is very shocking and sad.

Good luck to your dc and I hope he/she continues to flourish.... but things have changed for the younger ones and I really hope things get better for them.

Coming to Chigwell doesn't give license to that kind of behaviour, and yes it seems the higher achievers to be the more grounded ones who are now leaving.

Best of luck
OldBean

Post by OldBean »

I don't recognise the school from these posts. There is a full complement of characters at the school-from geeks to trendies. A high quota of nerds in fact and they all seem confident and happy. As someone who is on public transport with the kids a few days a week I haven't witnessed any poor behaviour, not even being loud. Same at the school, it all seems very peaceful.

They are teenagers and you are going to see some undesirable teen behaviours such as bragging, and bullying. There was quite a lot of bragging and bullying going on with some CLGS pupils on the central line the other night. Any school that says they don't have any trouble is lying and is to be avoided. I remember being on the Bancrofts offer holders day and scoffing as some mother was handwringing about hearing "all the drug problems" the school had. I had to laugh seeing all these well behaved kids all around. I'm sure a few teens there have tried drugs but it doesn't mean the school had a drug problem!

What I'm trying to say is people will have witnessed undesirable behaviour at all schools. To badge a school with having a problem because of a few examples deserves scepticism.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now