Allocation Day - 01/03/2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Allocation Day - 01/03/2017

Post by ToadMum »

dk2011 wrote:Thanks. I'm in Redbridge and the question was related to the offer. About SHSG chances, I'll raise it in the relevant forum.
Unless you seriously would prefer to home educate your DD rather than send her to the school you have been offered if none of your waiting list schools come up, then you should accept the offer.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

My understanding of the system is you don't lose anything by accepting the offer, you will still be on waiting lists for all higher preferences at least until September.

I'm in Essex and our offers are automatically accepted, you only have to reject and I will be put on the waiting list for Woodford as that was our first choice.

I would accept the offer (after double checking with Redbridge admissions) then on 24th see where you are on the waiting lists. If you've put Woodford first we are at 107.57 and a max of place 32, there are 3 or 4 people at 107.59 so you will be a max of 27/8 to 31 on list but out of area will come out of this and some may decline offers so your chances maybe reasonable to very good of getting in by September esp if you are the nearest 107.59. I don't know if you can also go on the waiting list for other schools too. Is Woodford your first choice or are you after one of the Essex ones ideally?
dk2011

Post by dk2011 »

Thanks, Bananas & ToadMum.
Woodford is the first choice as it is close to where I stay. However, in case we don't get a place there we are open to SHSG or WHSG. Her CSSE score is 323.218; she may get SHSG, but WHSG seems to be out of the question at the moment. Chances for Woodford also looks slim.
majic

Post by majic »

Hello,

My DS got his first preference ICH @ 109.71

Thanks and Good luck all
Last edited by majic on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nethermancer

Post by nethermancer »

My DD was offered a place at a score of around 114 and that has been accepted (mainly because her sister is already there).

The issue of ethnicity is a tricky one (I am Asian myself) and I often wondered what the reasons could be. I think the most likely reason statistically is that the previous exam structure (VR/NVR) favoured those who had extensive 11+ tuition and that seems to be a trait common among Asian families. I don't identify with that having been to Cambridge myself but the new exam structure (CEM) has already resulted in a much more "balanced" intake last year. So parents should not worry about this as an issue.

As for social matters my older daughter is in Y11 now and attended a few clubs. For some strange reason all of the voluntary ones are during lunchtime so very limited. The paid for ones can be after school. Girls are encouraged to start their own clubs.
Chambers09

Post by Chambers09 »

We've accepted our DDs place at WCHS with a score of 110.78 - she's at a catholic school now and 90% of her friends are going to Trinity. The parents were congratulating themselves on getting they're kids places even though in the history of the school nobody who lives in Woodford or Chingford (and is Catholic) has ever not gained a place- couldn't quite work out what they thought they had achieved.

I don't actually think indigenous English families even apply for WCHS because of the current ethnic mix. At the open day I don't think I even saw one white family- so it less about the exams and more about racism- let's just call it what it is.

Latymer is far more mixed and the exam has generally been the same and ironically has a much higher proportion of non- white peoples in its surrounding area.

I do see a real lack of ambition around a number of white English parents- rather not work with their kids and take the easy school option. Social and relational aspects are important in school choice- but they can't be that key because most ethnic minorities have to deal with being surrounded by predominantly white people in a lot of schools, institutions and work places - and they do just fine.

I guess I'm just saying that though some of my narrow minded friends have made some negative comments about my choice- I know we've done the right thing. Good luck to everyone else waiting to get in.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

We were at the open day too and are white but it was almost exclusively Asian as was those sitting the exam so don't think mix will be changing any time soon.

No one of DDs white friends applied and 1 is very bright and wouldn't even look round. All parents here advise against and some did it publicly to my DD saying you'll have no friends if you go there. Kids were telling her to deliberately fail. All quite annoying as it put DD off completely and she did almost no prep. It's frustrating as she got 107.57 anyway and with a bit of prep she would be in. Having said that she's a very sociable child and the girls at Woodford were lovely but quieter and her friends aren't there so I do wonder if she would be unhappy and I'm being selfish. At least the second choice is as good as comps get around here and all her friends going and we will just see what happens with the waiting lists. I still want Woodfood and it seemed fine to me. I would have preferred it to my comp but I'm quiet.
dk2011

Post by dk2011 »

Hi ,
A subsequent offer is also made online via eadmissions or it comes in the post ? I'll be out on holiday , so bit worried.
Thanks,
DK
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

I've asked Redbridge but no reply. They said I have to go via Essex too. I'm hoping its not just post as were on holiday too in Costa Rica so even internet will be tricky. I'm just going to phone before we go.
dk2011

Post by dk2011 »

Thanks. I'll post here if I get any related information.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now