Allocation Day - 01/03/2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
apples

Re: Allocation Day - 01/03/2017

Post by apples »

Hello everyone. Would be really keen to know what the cut off point score appears to be as things stand. My DD appears to be on the borderline. I know a few people with scores around 110 who have been offered a place. Wondering if anyone on this forum has a DD with scores around 108/109 and have been offered a place at WCHS. Uncertainty continues.
russelk

Post by russelk »

My daughter wasn't offered a place at at Woodford County with a a score of 108.9, but her friend who scored 107.something was offered a place. They both live in the same area. I'm confused. Why would a child with a lower score get a place and one with a higher one not get a place?
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Thanks for those scores. Redbridge have told me waiting list is on 24th March and tomorrow they will release what score got the lowest place online. I'm in Essex so don't have access to the Redbridge site so if someone sees and could post on here that would be great.

Well done to those who got in.

I have exactly the same issue with many people here saying I was mad to apply to Woodford as we are white. The racism is unbelievable. It's a shame as if one of those had applied DD would have put some effort in and they probably would both be in and she would have a friend. All her friends are off to Roding which is what she's been allocated.

As to why decline if I could comfortably afford to go private I probably would. We can afford private but if my job goes and redundancy pay doesn't cover the gap we are in trouble so thought it was too risky. It also would depend what private. Bancrofts was amazing but Chigwell just seemed OK. I wouldn't decline a place at Woodford to go to a comp but if my DD had got in and was unhappy after a year I would move her either to a comp or private. Other reason I've heard cited is there's no social life and not enough clubs, seemed enough clubs to me. Social life may be true as very wide catchment. Seemed fine to me but did prefer privates. However whether I preferred them allowing for the cost I'm less sure of. I went to Cambridge University and people privately educated got jobs earning about 50 percent more with same results though guess you need that to pay back fees. Kids are more confident too though sometimes too confident! Sporting wise private normally better.
nsh34

Post by nsh34 »

[quote="Chambers09"]Our DD ranked 236 and was offered a place at WCHS- as most of her friends are going to Trinity she's not thrilled. Her friends are also making comments (probably garnered from their parents) about the lack of diversity at the school (I'm being polite).

We haven't formally accepted as she has offers from 2 private schools.

Really interested in reasons people would decline WCHS[/quote

Chambers09 my dd is in yr 9 at WCHS, she is very happy, it's our local school & she is really engaged with all aspects of school life.We rejected 2 private school offers & chose to send her here, it's free & stats are very similar to that of privates.
With regards to diversity it is what is! does that matter? you're right when you say your dds friends comments are probably derived from their parents- it's very concerning to think that people still harbour such thoughts & its a very narrow minded view point, I feel the ethnicity of the children that attend a school shouldn't be a reason to disregard it, surely there is more to it, also if you don't like it how do you change the status quo if people are not willing to integrate.
There are a couple more threads below this re views on WHCS which may be of help to you. Good luck!
nsh34

Post by nsh34 »

Bananas wrote:Thanks for those scores. Redbridge have told me waiting list is on 24th March and tomorrow they will release what score got the lowest place online. I'm in Essex so don't have access to the Redbridge site so if someone sees and could post on here that would be great.

Well done to those who got in.

I have exactly the same issue with many people here saying I was mad to apply to Woodford as we are white. The racism is unbelievable. It's a shame as if one of those had applied DD would have put some effort in and they probably would both be in and she would have a friend. All her friends are off to Roding which is what she's been allocated.

As to why decline if I could comfortably afford to go private I probably would. We can afford private but if my job goes and redundancy pay doesn't cover the gap we are in trouble so thought it was too risky. It also would depend what private. Bancrofts was amazing but Chigwell just seemed OK. I wouldn't decline a place at Woodford to go to a comp but if my DD had got in and was unhappy after a year I would move her either to a comp or private. Other reason I've heard cited is there's no social life and not enough clubs, seemed enough clubs to me. Social life may be true as very wide catchment. Seemed fine to me but did prefer privates. However whether I preferred them allowing for the cost I'm less sure of. I went to Cambridge University and people privately educated got jobs earning about 50 percent more with same results though guess you need that to pay back fees. Kids are more confident too though sometimes too confident! Sporting wise private normally better.
Will do Bananas, but can tell you from experience that there will be vast amount of movement within the next few months, my friends dd 2 years back was offered a place in late August,also a dc joined my dds class from Chigwell in year 9,so there is hope!!
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Thanks for all the updates. Really bizarre 108.9 no offer but 107.something an offer. I presume both are in catchment and both put Woodford first. We are 107.57 in catchment no offer.

I would check you are in catchment (I would presume yes as its huge) and recheck the 107 score with your friend and /or maybe just phone Redbridge. They did say they are publishing the lowest score in tomorrow. It is strange.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

russelk wrote:My daughter wasn't offered a place at at Woodford County with a a score of 108.9, but her friend who scored 107.something was offered a place. They both live in the same area. I'm confused. Why would a child with a lower score get a place and one with a higher one not get a place?
Do you know what your and the friends exact score was they go to 2 decimal places.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

apples wrote:Hello everyone. Would be really keen to know what the cut off point score appears to be as things stand. My DD appears to be on the borderline. I know a few people with scores around 110 who have been offered a place. Wondering if anyone on this forum has a DD with scores around 108/109 and have been offered a place at WCHS. Uncertainty continues.
What did your DD score and did you get an offer. Just also trying to work out cut offs.
russelk

Post by russelk »

Bananas wrote:
russelk wrote:My daughter wasn't offered a place at at Woodford County with a a score of 108.9, but her friend who scored 107.something was offered a place. They both live in the same area. I'm confused. Why would a child with a lower score get a place and one with a higher one not get a place?
Do you know what your and the friends exact score was they go to 2 decimal places.
My daughter scored 108.91. I don't remember exactly what her friend scored but it was below 107.99. Both children are in the Common Catchment Area, and both put Woodford County first. I have emailed Redbridge about this.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

That's really strange. Hopefully the 107 one is right and they've just made an error with yours and can allocate you a place. Think you'll be in by September one way or another. Would be interested to see what they say.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now