Wooford County Results - Entry to Sept 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rtspr

Re: Wooford County Results - Entry to Sept 2018

Post by Rtspr »

Zaki wrote:Can someone shed light on this question for me.... the score our children were given. Does that take into account their age at this stage, for instance, if they’re born in June and are one of the youngest in the cohort.... or will that factor come into play when they rank children post applications?

See the bottom link.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you can find your answer here.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Rtspr wrote:
Zaki wrote:Can someone shed light on this question for me.... the score our children were given. Does that take into account their age at this stage, for instance, if they’re born in June and are one of the youngest in the cohort.... or will that factor come into play when they rank children post applications?

See the bottom link.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Essentially, with the CEM exam for Redbridge the age of the candidate will already have been taken into account. So a standardised score of say, 112, is a score of 112, whatever the age of the candidate. However, the underlying raw score of the candidates with, say, September birthdays may differ from those with, say, March birthdays or August birthdays. There is no re-ranking of scores according to age, post-application.

(NB there is no age standardisation at all of the raw scores in the CSSE exam, if your DD also sat that? )
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Zaki

Post by Zaki »

ToadMum wrote:
Rtspr wrote:

See the bottom link.

Essentially, with the CEM exam for Redbridge the age of the candidate will already have been taken into account. So a standardised score of say, 112, is a score of 112, whatever the age of the candidate. However, the underlying raw score of the candidates with, say, September birthdays may differ from those with, say, March birthdays or August birthdays. There is no re-ranking of scores according to age, post-application.

(NB there is no age standardisation at all of the raw scores in the CSSE exam, if your DD also sat that? )

Thank you so much for this. It was for my son who scored 110.87, but he’s a late august born child. Thank u
ToadMum

Re: CAF advice - HBS (Band b) / WCHS (certain) / Latymer (19

Post by ToadMum »

Bolded text correcting typos in my original post :roll: :
ToadMum wrote:
josh_oris wrote:Hi All,

Please can you advice on how best to rank grammar school in my daughter CAF application given the result and our preference below:
1. Woodford County High School (Result: 120.13 - Past result from FOI suggests offer is guarantee in the first round of admission in March 2018)
2. The Latymer (Result: Rank 193 to 450)
3. Henrietta Barnett school (Result: Band 2)
HBS email further says "I hope it is useful to take this opportunity to remind you that it is important to list The Henrietta Barnett School as your daughter's first preference if you do want her to come here. You can't lose by putting Henrietta Barnett first. If you place Henrietta Barnett as your daughter’s first preference and then she is not offered a place, you will not jeopardise her chances of being given a place at those other schools you have named. If you do not put Henrietta Barnett down as first preference, then your daughter will not be offered a place. Your daughter will be offered a place at the school which you have ranked highest amongst those for which your application meets the admissions criteria. You are therefore strongly advised to rank the schools to which you are applying in your genuine order of preference"

Taking this email literally, applying to HBS does not jeopardise other school my DD whose admission criteria my DD meets. But, I am not really sure whether I can take their word for it or they are just using it to invite as many applications as possible.

Our preference is: (1) HBS, (2) Woodford girls and (3) The Latymer, in the specified order. However, I am not sure how CAF works. Below are my specific questions:
1. Given quote from HBS letter above, do children get offer place only if you put the school as first choice?
2. Do they get offer from multiple schools for whose admission criteria they meet.
3. If we put HBS first, WCHS second and Latymer third. Does this mean we may not be considered by WCHS and be on waiting list for HBS as we are not on Band A?
4. And can the consequence of (3) be missing out on WCHS, if waiting list does not move significantly enough on HBS for my DD to be offered a place?

Regards

Josh
Your CAF works exactly how it will be explained on your local authority's website. I'm sorry, but I really can't believe the number of people who have got to almost within a week of the CAF submission deadline and still haven't had a look to see how the process works :shock: .

However...

If your number one preference is HBS, then put it first. You may be (very) lucky and get it straight away, but if you don't, you will have a place on the waiting list, which by law has to be maintained in oversubscription criteria order until at least the end of the autumn term.

From your DD's s score, she will almost certainly get place at WCHS, so if you really want that school if you don't get HBS, then put it next.

To comply with tbe Admissions Code, on March 1st, your LA (not any of the schools) must pass on to you a single offer of a place at the school which you ranked highest, at which a place is available for your DC. So no, you don't get to choose on the day, it's just yes or no to the one you are allocated. Even if you have changed your mind about your preferences, do not decline the one you have been allocated.
If you would now prefer a lower ranked school
ask to be put on the waiting list for that school and hope that you rank highly enough against the school's published admissions criteria to get in sometime soon.

And... each school assesses your application independently - only your LA knows which schools overall that you have expressed a preference for, and where you ranked them. The schools are, by law, not allowed to have this information.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx