Woodford County High School for Girls vs The Latymer School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

josh_oris

Woodford County High School for Girls vs The Latymer School

Post by josh_oris »

Hi All,

I am not sure the best place to post this question in order to attract right level of advice because both schools in question belong to different region. However, any advice will be appreciated on this forum.

We are trying to choose between The Latymer School and Woodford County High School for Girls for my daughter. She is ranked among the top 70 in WCHS, 193 to 450 in Latymer (we are in catchment and I am 90% certain she is closer to 193 and will be offered admission because we are actually expecting band A given her pre-exam performances).

I am in dilemma on which of the two schools is better, both schools are within 30 to 45 minutes journey and I do not particularly mind whether the school is mixed or girls only. What I am after is better of the two; both academically and extra-curriculum activities. DD is sporty and like challenges. DD is leaning towards WCHS and I think that is because she was captivated during their open day, and Latymer open day did not have same effect on her. Although, she is open to both.

Most information I find shows Latymer is better, however, the data from government secondary school comparison web site (https://www.gov.uk/school-performance-tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) available from the link below shows otherwise. Please advise?

https://ibb.co/jbW7Q6

Regards
Bananas

Re: Woodford County High School for Girls vs The Latymer Sch

Post by Bananas »

I don't know Latymer but have a daughter in y7 at Woodford. Academically its very good. Sporting wise its geared towards running. 2 hours homework a night at this stage. DD is one of only three white girls out of 180, only one other girl from our area. Pastoral care isn't great. DD started off happy then became unhappy and now wants to leave.

I've heard Latymer is the better school but kids can also settle better when the school is their choice.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

This is another repeat of the same thread. Maybe a moderator could merge them all?
scary mum
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Woodford does have clubs every night until 5pm though you need to book and pay the day they appear to get places. Also you have to be able to fit homework round them.

Clubs including knitting, arts and crafts, badminton, gymnastics, calligraphy, sign language, homework, boxing, self defence, dance, photography, fashion design, jewellery etc. Some further clubs are selected for e.g. netball team, drama. No shortage of clubs and girls can suggest clubs. Reasonably priced gymnastics is £22.50 for next half term, badminton £8.50.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bananas wrote:Woodford does have clubs every night until 5pm though you need to book and pay the day they appear to get places. Also you have to be able to fit homework round them.

Clubs including knitting, arts and crafts, badminton, gymnastics, calligraphy, sign language, homework, boxing, self defence, dance, photography, fashion design, jewellery etc. Some further clubs are selected for e.g. netball team, drama. No shortage of clubs and girls can suggest clubs. Reasonably priced gymnastics is £22.50 for next half term, badminton £8.50.
Are all the clubs run by outside agencies, or does the school actually charge for clubs it runs itself? Presumably not the netball teams...?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

As far as we are aware the clubs are run by people from outside.

The school do charge for quite a few things but think that's just the way that school budgets are though our primaries only charge is still £2 a day for lunch. Don't think they would ever charge for a school team but we've been charged for things like key fob, sleepover (£27.50), art kit, school birthday, lanyard and the food/drink was starting off around £6 a day though DD has calmed down a bit on the food/drink now and its more like £4. Clubs at primary are also charged here roughly £5 an hour. I would budget on £4 a day for food / drinks at Woodford and a few hundred a year in donations. From what I've heard the comps ask for more, one of them asks parents to pay £150 per child per year as well.
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Hi there

From what I have read and researched definitely you have made the right choice..Woodford to me is better than Latymer.compare it on the whole GCSE A level clubs academic excellence and their destination to uni.i think before Latymer was better. Now it has gone down.Now many parents are declining to put Latymer as their first choices even though they are at the doorstep of Latymer.

Hope that’s helps

Regds
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Suzanne wrote:Hi there

From what I have read and researched definitely you have made the right choice..Woodford to me is better than Latymer.compare it on the whole GCSE A level clubs academic excellence and their destination to uni.i think before Latymer was better. Now it has gone down.Now many parents are declining to put Latymer as their first choices even though they are at the doorstep of Latymer.

Hope that’s helps

Regds
You don't have to delve very far into the Essex / Redbridge sections of the forum (or real life in the schools concerned) to find plenty of ICHS / WCHS Common Catchment Area parents opting for HBS, QE and particularly CCHS and the CSSE grammar schools, though.

Lovely to have the option of other areas' non-catchment schools and open places as well as your own catchment area only grammar schools to choose from :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
josh_oris

Post by josh_oris »

Hi Moderator, please can you help merge threads "Woodford County High School for Girls vs The Latymer School" and "The Latymer School vs Woodford County High School for Girls".

Sorry, it was accidentally I was accidentally posted twice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now