Travelling from Barking to Dartford grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
regis

Travelling from Barking to Dartford grammar school

Post by regis »

Is there any private coach from Barking, or Dagenham to Dartford grammar school for girls. My DD passed the Kent test with a very high score and Dartford is one of the options we are considering. I can drop her easily by car in the morning as it is only 27 minutes by car but I am unable to collect her in the afternoon because of work commitment. Any help would appreciated.
anotherdad

Re: Travelling from Barking to Dartford grammar school

Post by anotherdad »

27 minutes at rush hour sounds incredibly optimistic. Are you sure that's right?
Appuskidu

Post by Appuskidu »

I agree with the previous poster-how many times have you done that journey at rush hour-it doesn’t sound right at all?

You haven’t just plugged the postcodes into a route planner, have you?
regis

Post by regis »

I've done that journey many times and 27 minutes is with the usual traffic. When there is too much traffic it can be 40 minutes. Going there in the morning is fine, the traffic builds up around 8:30 when I would be coming back.
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

It’s nearly a 20 mile journey including getting over the bridge before 8am; no way you could do it in under 40 minutes between 7am and 9am.

Did you not look into options before she sat the test- it’s one heck of a journey by public transport?!

The Southend grammars are much easier from Barking- straight down the C2C line and a short walk for both.
regis

Post by regis »

Thank you very much Leighmum2019. We are also considering both Westcliff and Southend grammars but we do not have the results yet. They are out next week. As for Dartford, it is 14.8 miles from where I live. As it is closer than Southend grammars my DD would not have to get up too early. The problem would be getting back home after school. That's why I was asking whether anyone know any coach in East London which takes kids to Dartford grammars. When I looked at the 2017 Kent results there were quite a number of kids from East London who passed it and I was wondering how they get there.
Juneboy

Post by Juneboy »

Just because a number of kids from East London passed in 2017 doesn’t mean they were offered a place. Kent Grammars give preference to their local children. Last year a higher number of local boys passed than was expected and they didn’t all get a place in the first round. They had to appeal.
Aby

Post by Aby »

I am also considering for my son to send him to DGS if he gets an offer with his score. We live in Dagenham. Let me know please if you have found something useful regarding private coach service. Thanks
Susheela

Post by Susheela »

I think there is a group of parents that were planning to hire a private coach to DGS from East London if they have the numbers.
regis

Post by regis »

Aby, apparently there is a coach which leaves Chafford hundred C2C station to Dartford grammars every morning from 7:45. So if you live near a c2c train station your DS can catch the coach from Chafford hundred. Has anyone used that private coach? Thanks