Need reviews for Ilford County School pls
Any parents whose kids are in this school, please advice

Thanks
My friend teaches there. It's good
saurish09

Re: Reviews for Ilford County

Post by saurish09 »

Hi
Now that the results are out, can we please some additional info on ICHS for parents to make informed decisions?.. Especially after this teachers strike saga.. Is all good at ilford county, it will be great if you share your inputs..

In our case, we rent in Redbridge and DS got a decent score at ICHS, and 358 at CSSE and cleared wilson first round. Now, we are massively confused whether to stay on with ICHS or opt for the likes of westcliffe (which means big commute)..
Arrowana

Post by Arrowana »

saurish09 wrote:Hi
Now that the results are out, can we please some additional info on ICHS for parents to make informed decisions?.. Especially after this teachers strike saga.. Is all good at ilford county, it will be great if you share your inputs..

In our case, we rent in Redbridge and DS got a decent score at ICHS, and 358 at CSSE and cleared wilson first round. Now, we are massively confused whether to stay on with ICHS or opt for the likes of westcliffe (which means big commute)..

Hi sarish09,

We too are in the same boat as you. We attended Westcliffe open evening last night, and got a very good impression of the school. The grounds and buildings looked impressive. A good portion of the kids travelled there via coaches. Coaches leave from Gants Hill and takes an hour. There was also a parent that I spoke to (from Seven Kings) at the event that mentioned that they would likely put their son in Colchester Royal Grammar School (50 miles plus away) but she said the journey was also around an hour away. It's a shame that ICHS is likely not the same in terms of grounds / buildings and facilities. I have heard lots of negative views of the school, some citing concerns over funding issues, staff shortages (note recent strike in July'19), closure of pool, experienced teachers leaving. It's literally only 5-10 mins away and would have been ideal if it was like WHSB or CRGS. What views have you gathered relating to ICHS? Is it as really getting bad there? Are there any supporters out there that can share personal insights?
dk2011

Post by dk2011 »

Arrowana wrote:
saurish09 wrote:Hi

Hi sarish09,

We too are in the same boat as you. We attended Westcliffe open evening last night, and got a very good impression of the school. The grounds and buildings looked impressive. A good portion of the kids travelled there via coaches. Coaches leave from Gants Hill and takes an hour. There was also a parent that I spoke to (from Seven Kings) at the event that mentioned that they would likely put their son in Colchester Royal Grammar School (50 miles plus away) but she said the journey was also around an hour away. It's a shame that ICHS is likely not the same in terms of grounds / buildings and facilities. I have heard lots of negative views of the school, some citing concerns over funding issues, staff shortages (note recent strike in July'19), closure of pool, experienced teachers leaving. It's literally only 5-10 mins away and would have been ideal if it was like WHSB or CRGS. What views have you gathered relating to ICHS? Is it as really getting bad there? Are there any supporters out there that can share personal insights?
Please note , not every child can travel that far for next 5-7 years. I know couple of people who had to eventually move closure to the school because kids complained of fatigue. sarish09 , as you are renting , it will be relatively less painful for you to move your home I assume. Bottom line is , either kid or the parents will have to travel far for school/work. If you can move when it is needed then obviously WHSB is the better choice at the moment. Realistically , CRGS is out of question if you stay in London.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Okay, personal opinion dressed up as fact here, no.doubt someone will say, but no school is worth sending one's DC on a daily 100 mile round trip, 190 days a year for the next 5 or 7 years.

50 mile commutes are for adults, not for children.

Plenty of new builds going up around Colchester and plenty of perfectly good houses, within easy walking distance of both grammar schools and railway stations, on the market around the Borough of Southend.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Arrowana

Post by Arrowana »

I called up ICHS and requested to view the school because I was unable to view during their opening day. The receptionist said that if enough parents want to have a look at the school, they may schedule in another viewing day, the week after half term if there is enough demand/interest. So please email the school if you would like to view before the CAF deadline at enquiries@ichs.org.uk thanks
saurish09

Post by saurish09 »

Thank you all for your inputs. My son has also cleared Wilson second round. I am now more inclined to moving near Wilson or prefer Westcliffe over ICHS..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now