Woodford County High School results for 2020 entry are out

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Harpenden

Re: Woodford County High School results for 2020 entry are o

Post by Harpenden »

Hello

I am starting the journey with my daughter this year and and pinning my hopes on WCHS for 2021 entry. She loved the school and we would not consider putting her through onerous travel.

Anyone that already attends the school could you give me the good the bad and ugly of the school please?

Also what are the scores out of and how are they standardised? My daughter is older in the year and in year 5. . We live within catchment but probably the border so am worried she would lose points on age and location. She scores high on CEM papers i.e. in the 90s% so am keeping everything crossed, however I don't know how this converts to standardised scores x
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

Harpenden wrote:Hello

I am starting the journey with my daughter this year and and pinning my hopes on WCHS for 2021 entry. She loved the school and we would not consider putting her through onerous travel.

Anyone that already attends the school could you give me the good the bad and ugly of the school please?

Also what are the scores out of and how are they standardised? My daughter is older in the year and in year 5. . We live within catchment but probably the border so am worried she would lose points on age and location. She scores high on CEM papers i.e. in the 90s% so am keeping everything crossed, however I don't know how this converts to standardised scores x
Hi, I don't know much about WCHS but I recently came across loads of terrible google reviews on WCHS, here is an example:

So, I am in Year 9 currently and the past 2-3 years of my life at woodford have not been great. Firstly, before i came to woodford i was a very confident, person however since joining woodford i have changed so, so, much. I have become socially awkward, i have social anxiety and i get panic attacks when trying to ask to use the toilet. I cannot put my hand up in class because I'm so scared of the criticism from classmates and being wrong. I have become very shy and introverted because of the hostile atmosphere at woodford and I wish I could go back to the person I was before. The amount of confidence I have lost from teachers (won't name any just In case) degrading me has affected my personal life massively. Secondly, the teaching at woodford is NON EXISTENT. In fact, in some classes, teachers leave you with the powerpoint and work and leave the classroom for the whole lesson. Teachers are also NEVER IN and we have cover lessons where we sit down and copy notes from textbooks at least 2-3 times a week. The teachers do NOT know how to teach, all they have to do is pull out a powerpoint from 2010 and tell us to copy down stuff from the board. Thirdly, school life is very dull and boring. There isn't a wide range of extra curricular available here and the range of sports we play isn't very exciting. We don't have drama lessons, which i think is a big problem. Instead, there is FAR too much emphasis on the core subjects and exams. We are told that we need to perform well because we are a Grammar School but infact all they care about is league tables.
Blossom8

Post by Blossom8 »

My DD is at Woodford in Year 7. She’s happy, made a good circle of friends and finds the work manageable and teachers are supportive and of good quality. In my opinion, your child will thrive at this school if she is organised, self motivated and wants to do well academically.

I know a few parents that still sends their child for tutoring which I think is really unnecessary as teaching is good and personally, I think it’s too much for a child. Since starting Year 7, the girls appear to have undergone various tests/assessments on their subjects as well as CAT tests. Perhaps they also do this in comprehensive schools.

Perhaps the negative reviews on Google are from children who are not performing as well as their peers or receive pressure from parents to be top of the class. I’m speaking from my personal view as a parent. It’s an excellent school.