Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Summer Schools ??
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 am 

Hi
Has anyone contemplated a summer school ? I have a few numbers of summer schools in Manchester but they are costly, is it worth it? Also what questions should I be asking if I was to choose a summer school?

:)
:D

Post subject: Re: Summer Schools ??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 pm 

pushy_parent123 wrote:
Hi
Has anyone contemplated a summer school ? I have a few numbers of summer schools in Manchester but they are costly, is it worth it? Also what questions should I be asking if I was to choose a summer school?

:)
:D

Nail on the head hit :D
Enjoy the summer, relax and just keep ticking over with the work. These intensive courses promise much but don't deliver much IMHO :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:35 pm 

Posted elsewhere in response to a similar question:

What do you think a course will do that you haven't or won't be able to cover at home or any existing tutoring won't cover? Short, regular practice sessions would be my preference and if you can continue that at home, all the better. I'm not convinced that "intensive" courses compressed over a short period of time do much for a ten year old's ability, let alone their well-being.

Be careful when looking for courses. In my area (Bucks) there seem to be a number of tuition companies that have sprung up recently, all making wonderful promises but some of which don't demonstrate a complete understanding of the 11+ process on their own websites! I wouldn't trust them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:09 pm 

i agree, there are way too many new 11+ clubs promising the world, and if you look closely, most of them dont have the qualifications to teach! i dont think there is any regulation stopping this... so its become another money making scheme.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 pm 

The problems is that parents just don't seem to ask the right questions. I speak to lots of parents who have tutors and not one can ever tell me if their tutor has ever got a single student into the school they are aiming for. They also pay for tutors who simply mark Bond books which have the answers at the back.

Some do not even give students their papers to take home so the parent has no idea how they are really doing. They don't ask for references from existing parents and some even drive miles to a tutor in another 11 plus county and end up learning subjects that they do not need for their exam.

One place in Slough actually keeps the phone off the hook most of the day to create the impression that they are really busy. They just put it back on for the odd fifteen minutes so they can actually get some customers who are then told they need to sign up that day as the offer is ending. One parent signed a one year contract with a tutor that had no break clause. You can end a tenancy flat quicker than that 11 plus contract.

Parents need to be more vigilant and not make it too easy for people to cheat them. DG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:05 pm 

Many tutors aren't even qualified teachers either. Ask to see their qualifications before you pay money ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm 

Daogroupie wrote:
The problems is that parents just don't seem to ask the right questions. I speak to lots of parents who have tutors and not one can ever tell me if their tutor has ever got a single student into the school they are aiming for. They also pay for tutors who simply mark Bond books which have the answers at the back.

Some do not even give students their papers to take home so the parent has no idea how they are really doing. They don't ask for references from existing parents and some even drive miles to a tutor in another 11 plus county and end up learning subjects that they do not need for their exam.

One place in Slough actually keeps the phone off the hook most of the day to create the impression that they are really busy. They just put it back on for the odd fifteen minutes so they can actually get some customers who are then told they need to sign up that day as the offer is ending. One parent signed a one year contract with a tutor that had no break clause. You can end a tenancy flat quicker than that 11 plus contract.

Parents need to be more vigilant and not make it too easy for people to cheat them. DG

Absolutely. There's a new one starting up near me that demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the system they purport to help parents navigate on their own website. Then there's the other outfit I've mentioned on here before, that is in Bedfordshire and encourages parents to enter the Bucks 11+ and target specific Bucks grammar schools even though no one secured a place this year and is unlikely to in the future, either.