Go to navigation
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 2:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:00 pm 

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had any advise for improving this skill. I would say at the moment when we do the CGP booklets she is getting about half right and we come across a lot of words she doesn't know. When we go through it we talk about the words but not sure how much stays in.

I read to her every day and she reads to herself, but I'm guessing other than trying to generally improve vocab I wondered if there were other ways to improve these skills other than doing them.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 am 

You could try getting her to put them into sentences. This may help cement their meaning when they are put into context.

We used to stick words to doors, and whenever DS went into a room he had to either give the meaning, put it in a sentence, give an antonym, synonym etc.

Play word association games on the way to school, in the car etc.

There is a free online site called freerice which looks at meanings of words, and for every correct answer they donate grains of rice through the World Food Programme.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:59 am 

I have tried keeping a record of words with similar meanings and playing with my dd, as to try and remember.. Like I would say a word and she tries to recollect some of the matching words from her memory, if she has missed some obvious, I would help.. can do with opposites too.. Pretend that you have forgotten some obvious ones as well, which would encourage them to try more, really.. :lol: Its the realization that mummy is no perfect with them either... It helps!! :wink: