11+ Confidence CEM Style papers

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Northdad

11+ Confidence CEM Style papers

Post by Northdad »

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience / views on these practice papers? Specifically, how do they compare with the CEM standard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Confidence-Com ... 11_TE_item

Thanks
mraj

Re: 11+ Confidence CEM Style papers

Post by mraj »

not to attracting
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

These weren't very similar you are better off with Letts cem bumper pack
ninanina

Post by ninanina »

They are easier than Letts or Cgp practice papers, so I would assume that they are easier than the real thing too. Nonetheless, if you want a lot of practice, it wouldn't harm using them anyway, especially at the beginning, before attempting more difficult papers.
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Thanks everyine for the kind advice
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi,
I'm trying to work out the average length of each Maths question (Bexley style). Does anybody know?

I downloaded the CGP CEM Maths paper from their site and the first section has 30 questions to be done in 10 minutes. That would be 20 seconds when GL is around a minute.
We also have the Letts CEM bumper book. In your opinion, which one would be closer in format and timings?

I'd like to concentrate on CEM Maths for Bexley without scaring my son! We still have some more Bond tests, but I think they would not be the right format. Or do I just half the timings?

Thank you,

Salsa
KenR

Post by KenR »

You need to understand that Durham CEM go out of their way to vary the exam on year to try to counteract the influence of tutors. I believe that this applies to CEM exams in other regions

If you take a look at the recent Birmingham KE Consortium exam content I recently posted for the Sept 2015 exam you will observe that the Maths questions style are quite different from the previous Sept 2014 exam. For self tutors the best approach is to use a variety of papers to prepare them for the unexpected!
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

I would say that CGP is the nearest to the real CEM but even that is a bit hit and miss.
salsa

Post by salsa »

KenR wrote:You need to understand that Durham CEM go out of their way to vary the exam on year to try to counteract the influence of tutors. I believe that this applies to CEM exams in other regions

If you take a look at the recent Birmingham KE Consortium exam content I recently posted for the Sept 2015 exam you will observe that the Maths questions style are quite different from the previous Sept 2014 exam. For self tutors the best approach is to use a variety of papers to prepare them for the unexpected!
Thank you very much for this information. So, should the practice papers providers label their stuff CEM?

I'm trying to give my son strategies other than "work as fast as you can", which he already knows.
Salsa
salsa

Post by salsa »

Northdad wrote:I would say that CGP is the nearest to the real CEM but even that is a bit hit and miss.
Thank you. They do vary a bit from Letts.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now