Numerical Reasoning - same as Maths?

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Priya25

Numerical Reasoning - same as Maths?

Post by Priya25 »

Hello, Can someone please advise if Numerical Reasoning is same or different to Maths for schools following CEM format of examination? Confused as HBS says round one is VR & Numerical Reasoning & second round is English & Maths?

Regards,
Priya
Stokers

Re: Numerical Reasoning - same as Maths?

Post by Stokers »

NR is maths - but it's lots of quick questions and often multi- stage problems - so, if you get something wrong in the first stage, you won't get any of the subsequent questions right. The FPTP books are very good practice for CEM NR. My DD sat HBS last year and said it was very similar and of the same standard.
Round 2 Maths is longer, word problem style questions - very similar to the DAO papers that are published each year. Latymer and consortium papers are good practice for this paper as well as DAO papers.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS first round is CEM which is short timed sections of English VR and Numerical Reasoning.

Only 300 out of over 2,000 go through to the second round.

The second round is standard format English and Maths that you find at DAO and most private schools such as Habs, City and St Albans.

Hopefully you are sitting next year and in 48 hours time! DG
Priya25

Post by Priya25 »

Thank you both for you valuable inputs, my DD is taking the exam tomorrow, it was just last minute panic as we have prepared for VR , NVR & Numerical Reasoning as we understand it.
I picked up one of the book last night for Numercal reasoning which we had not done yet & it had pure maths in it & that panicked me as even though she has done her Math preps but we have been focusing on VR etc in these summer hols!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now