CEM not tutor-proof

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

CEM not tutor-proof

Post by BucksBornNBred »

In my local "rag":

A test provider has "admitted" there is no evidence that the controversial 11-Plus test is “tutor-proof”, according to a campaign group which has branded it a “legalised form of discrimination”. According to campaign group Local Equal Excellent (LEE), this is not the case.

It said in an email responding to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request, CEM stated: “Without extensive and expensive research, it is not possible to quantify the impact of coaching on the results from our tests, since we currently have no access to information regarding the levels of coaching that children have received.”
alloptionscovered

Re: CEM not tutor-proof

Post by alloptionscovered »

I think the CEM certainly means children have to be more well rounded than before. CEM also then reserve the right to do something totally out of the box or different year on year.
However, realistically an academic test for mostly 10 year olds only has a certain number of things that can really be tested, and the number of the ways this can be done is quite limited. Therefore I think it makes it tutorable.
The untutorable part I think is the emphasis on vocabulary. That is so hit and miss that I don't think there is really any way of teaching it. The only way to gain, retain and understand the type of CEM vocabulary is through an ongoing exposure to high quality language through more "high brow" sources than the average 10 year old would experience . This definitely in my view could be seen as both classist and also discriminatory against people whose first language is not English. But as the aim (in Bucks anyway) is to do better than say 70% of the other children, then these children could in theory make their mark up in other areas?
Ultimately, there is no fair way of ensuring the brightest get in to grammar school, there will always be some cross over of those who probably should not have got in, and some who don't but probably should. Which could be a good argument for the comprehensive system where children can move between sets much more easily.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I only posted the quote because CEM always stated that their test was tutor-proof and there has been lots of discussion on this site saying that is not the case. I found it amusing that CEM have been forced to state that their original claim may not be accurate. Just reminded me of all the adverts for washing powder (et al) stating that it is the best ever :-)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm not sure CEM actually said they were tutor proof. If memory serves me correctly, they stated something along the lines of their test being more resistant to the effects of tutoring (due in part to the verbal reasoning requiring a more long term exposure to vocabulary.) I think the media sound bit that into tutor proof.

I fully expect a number of tutors to now line up and explain how of course tutoring will help etc but they do have a vested interest in perpetuating the need for tutors to help succeed in the 11+. All I can say is that with some minimal preparation it is possible for a bright child to succeed. With the previous testing system, in this area. Children getting 98% in the 11+ failed to secure a GS place - it was 100% or nothing due to the number of tests available and tutors just going over and over them. I know which I think is the fairer system, in a wholly unfair system!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Children getting 98% in the 11+ failed to secure a GS place
Most grammars are not QE,historically raw scores as in the Kent data for the GL are much,much lower.Educational Authorities that bought into CEM were sold a pup-it requires much more tutoring.

Given that even at A level you are given past papers.GL give out familiarisation papers which for a modest outlay most families can afford-it made it fairer not less.

btw, I'm not a tutor or have shares in GL.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Catseye wrote:
Most grammars are not QE,historically raw scores as in the Kent data for the GL are much,much lower.Educational Authorities that bought into CEM were sold a pup-it requires much more tutoring.
Given that even at A level you are given past papers.GL give out familiarisation papers which for a modest outlay most families can afford-it made it fairer not less.
I believe the tests KCG is referring to are the old Moray House ones Warks used to use before CEM ...

JD
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

JamesDean wrote:
Catseye wrote:
I believe the tests KCG is referring to are the old Moray House ones Warks used to use before CEM ...

JD
I stand corrected :oops: Sorry KCG-I am completely ignorant of Moray House.

As per usual 'know it all' knows nowt!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Apology accepted - and thank you JD...
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I think (hope?!) Warwickshire was a little unusual in that it was said to have just 8 sets of Moray House test papers, and regularly recycling them in the old days, meaning tutors who quizzed their charges after the test could give real questions to future tutees... Definitely not a tutor-proof test!

DD is now 2-year-uni age and was the first year not to do Moray House tests in Warwickshire. Her year did a different set of tests because the county had to swap providers at the last minute when the news broke of the recycling issue. CEM was introduced the next year so presumably all those currently in Warwickshire grammars did the CEM tests.

I think I've been here too long :roll:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are in fact only a total of 12 Moray House papers. DAO, SW Herts Consortium and St Albans High School for girls all used Moray House papers until last year.

I know of a student who sat St Albans High School for Girls two years ago and had already done the paper in her prep school.

I was regularly contacted about preps handing out Moray House papers to their parents for revision.

It must have been a very sad day for some of the preps when North London and Herts finally abandoned Moray House last year. The number of students passing the VR at DAO went down from over 700 to 338. The average mark at SW Herts went down 25 marks.

I am very glad that now those who pass the VR are all those who are able to do it on the day, not some who had actually been taught the paper before going in.

Thank you CEM for coming along and finally kicking Moray House into touch years after it should have gone. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now