CEM Bucks 11 plus

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tee156

CEM Bucks 11 plus

Post by Tee156 »

Hi everyone.... Nerve wrecking as it can be I am on his journey of trying to home Tutor my DC and it's been a learning curve. I have bought a lot of material with regards to CEM and wanted to find out how I can improve my DC ability of not being careless especially with his maths. I know he has the ability to do it but seems he makes careless mistakes in both the verbal and maths part. Can anyone give me ideas on how I can help him improve this
Guest55

Re: CEM Bucks 11 plus

Post by Guest55 »

Is he rushing and not reading the question properly or making errors in calculation?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I feel your pain I'm trying to get my son to slow down and focus on the questions. He keeps rushing because he wants to finish the work asap!
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

In maths, I used to give a bonus points for accuracy. Eg. on a 50 question paper, 1 extra point for 45 correct an 2 for 48 correct.... Etc.

Later on there were negative points for wrong answers, especially if they were from the first half (ie the easiest part) of the test.

It seemed to work for us. It was all about checking as you go.
semb

Post by semb »

Hi Tee156
Do you go through the papers and review his mistakes with him? Last year my Dd would rush to get the work finished and made lots of careless errors, but funnily enough when we went through her errors she would be pleased that her mistakes weren't that she couldn't do the questions, just that she'd rushed and been careless. I found it really frustrating!

I don't think we had any magic solution for improving things, I think it was just a case of practising. She got better over time, and ended up getting frustrated herself when she kept making the same careless errors as she knew she could do the questions - her own frustration at her carelessness seemed to motivate her in the end.

Sorry not to have any more helpful strategies to offer!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now