CEM VR Cloze questions-correct answer in each box a must?

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

medwaydaad

CEM VR Cloze questions-correct answer in each box a must?

Post by medwaydaad »

My DS is working on CEM practice papers and in the Adding 3 letter words and Cloze questions section,
it says: you must enter a correct answer in every box to receive a mark.
Each question has 5 boxes, so that means even if you get 4 correct you still get nothing for that question

so could anyone tell me if that's the case in real test?

many thanks
crsmith

Re: CEM VR Cloze questions-correct answer in each box a must

Post by crsmith »

medwaydaad wrote:My DS is working on CEM practice papers and in the Adding 3 letter words and Cloze questions section,
it says: you must enter a correct answer in every box to receive a mark.
Each question has 5 boxes, so that means even if you get 4 correct you still get nothing for that question

so could anyone tell me if that's the case in real test?

many thanks
Each word is considered one question and one mark. So even if there are four or five missing letters, that is still one mark. So, they must have the correct word, correctly spelled.
link removed by moderator
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is a CEM question and should be posted in the CEM section not the VR, mods could you move it please?

Missing Letter Cloze is testing the correct spelling of the word. If you do not spell the word correctly, even if you know what it is, you do not get the mark.

There are no half marks in CEM. You either get the question right or wrong.

Missing Letter Cloze and Shuffled Sentences are considered to be the two hardest of the CEM sections, so in my opinion are the most likely to be used. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Unless I've completely misunderstood the original post, I'm not sure why, in this context, you would expect to have a word marked as correct if you hadn't spelt it correctly?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx