All CEM Papers are same?

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

helloviswa

All CEM Papers are same?

Post by helloviswa »

Hi,
I'm preparing to appear 11+ exam in Sep 2018. Is there any category/ standard differ between CEM followed across England? For example, Buckinghamshire CEM paper and Chelmsford County Girls School CEM paper are same standard or is there any difference (such as standard/ intermediate / advanced etc)?
Do I need to concentrate more on any specific topic?
Your help is much appreciable.

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: All CEM Papers are same?

Post by Daogroupie »

No they are not all the same.

There is a group who hold their tests on the same day, CEM super Saturday and are prepared to share results but others are different papers and different weightings.

The core ingredients of CEM are NVR, English VR called Verbal Abiility and Maths called NR , Numerical Reasoning.

Some schools such as DAO, SW Herts and HBS do not include the NVR.

Others such as DAO and SW Herts do not include the NVR or the NR, only focusing on the Verbal Ability.

You can tell if they use CEM by looking at the sample paper on the website, those who use the same CEM paper have the same sample paper.

Bucks and CCGS are not the same. If you look in the Bucks region you will find details of the CEM. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This shows the groups of schools that have used the same papers in the past. Obviously this is for a previous year so not necessarily still true.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... artley.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the schools that use the full mix of VR, NR and NVR, regardless of what group they are in seem to use the same familiarisation paper (at least when I've looked at others, they all appear to be the same).
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This thread has some familiarisation papers. In the past when I've gone through them they all look the same.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 70&t=37330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the links are now broken though. If anyone has updates I can edit as required.
helloviswa

Post by helloviswa »

Thanks All. It is helpful. I suppose, from the preparation perspective, it would be better to go to local tuition rather than other location. For example, to secure a place in CCHS, it is not advisable to join some tuition in slough (which could concentrate more on Buckinghamshire). Both will vary? Any thoughts?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Slough have a different test to Bucks (but both currently CEM) , so although as they are close there will be some that apply to both, so they will be concentrating on the Slough test. TBH I doubt at the moment I doubt there would be any difference though. Once the Bucks test changes again there will be.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I doubt that there will be any differences between the two test centres. Why would there be? They are both tutoring for a CEM test.

Obviously next Year will be a different story as Bucks will be GL and Berks will remain as CEM.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Buckinghamshire & Chelmsford are an awfully long way apart. Where are you based?
scary mum
helloviswa

Post by helloviswa »

scary mum wrote:Buckinghamshire & Chelmsford are an awfully long way apart. Where are you based?
Chelmsford. My colleague suggested AE.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Following on from your first question, you'll see from this that last year the Slough and Chelmsford tests were the same test on the same day. I have no reason to believe that has changed.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... artley.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I don't think you want to be trekking to Slough for tutoring. However good a tutor or firm is, it's not worth that hassle.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now