Maths Syllabus

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BlueBerry

Maths Syllabus

Post by BlueBerry »

Hello all,

My DS is sitting the exam in 3 weeks and I should know the answer to this but I don't :oops: So I'm really embarrassed to be asking this question but here goes. What is the Maths syllabus required for the 11+? Is there a list that breaks down the topics please?

Thanks.
Guest55

Re: Maths Syllabus

Post by Guest55 »

?Bucks.

Look at the NC up to and including Year 5.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks Guest 55. Yes, I need the syllabus for Bucks and also for Berks.

I thought that it was the NC up to Year 5, but we've come across Maths questions that are clearly beyond Year 5 Maths. I'm just wondering whether the Berks exam is different?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BlueBerry wrote:Thanks Guest 55. Yes, I need the syllabus for Bucks and also for Berks.

I thought that it was the NC up to Year 5, but we've come across Maths questions that are clearly beyond Year 5 Maths. I'm just wondering whether the Berks exam is different?
Do they actually require knowledge of things not taught until year 6 in the curriculum, or the application of skills which should already have been acquired, just in a different way? Isn't part of the point of the 11+ is to identify those with the ability to grasp new concepts? Like all those 'So how much do 3 pears and six pencils cost?' questions, which (really don't) need year 8 algebra to work out?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

DG, the question was based on drawing scale of a room 0.5cm long by 0.5cm wide at a scale of 1:1000 and finding out the actual area of the room.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Sorry, I posted too soon. I thought that this was a Year 6 topic? Or am I getting all mixed up with all the different NC?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rs-5-and-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this any help?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks that's the exact document that I was looking at last night.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now