Timing warnings

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Trafmum82

Timing warnings

Post by Trafmum82 »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the actual timing warnings on the CEM? Do they get a warning half way through? Or 5 mins to go? I'm just trying to prepare DC. Some of the sections are so small I'm guessing they don't get a half way through warning, but some of them are quite long. Does it depend on the section? Thanks in advance :)
BlueBerry

Re: Timing warnings

Post by BlueBerry »

From what I've read, it all depends on the sections.

I'm sure that some of the more knowledgeable members of this forum will answer your query.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

No experience of CEM exams, I'm afraid, but I think I would mainly keep reinforcing 'remember to read / listen to instructions' as my main advice, rather than give my DC any specific advice that hadn't actually been given by the exam board itself, if you see what I mean?
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

For Bucks/berks i believe they get told how long the section is (and it's written on each section of the paper) and they are then given a warning shortly before the end of each section ( ie 1 or 2 minutes to go) . The bucks familiarisation paper is so that they have a "practice" at this two days before the actual test and on the day the timing reminders will be similar.
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

Fab thanks for this, I have been doing a few practice papers with DC and I didn't want to give him timing warnings that he wouldn't have in the test... I don't want him to expect time warnings that he isn't going to get! I think I will stick to just giving him the 1 minute warning at the end of each test, initially I was giving him a half way warning too!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now