Rest before the exam

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ashu

Rest before the exam

Post by Ashu »

Hi, Is anyone making their child miss school so that they can study at home in the coming days.
What do you think of the idea?

Thanks.
Guest55

Re: Rest before the exam

Post by Guest55 »

I'd keep life as normal as possible. By missing school you are ramping up the importance of the test which is counter-productive. How will you explain the absence to the school?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

After much thought and deliberations, we have decided to send DS to school on the day of his test. His test at 2pm.
We are trying to keep things as normal as possible for him. This is particularly important to us as he/we haven't done a lot of prep for these exams and don't wish to make a big issue out of passing/ failing the test.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Don't miss school. A) it will annoy school B) it gives your child the wrong message C) it may actually lower their score by causing anxiety.

We have to miss two days for the actual tests as DD is sitting Bucks and we are not at a Bucks school. By the time we are back from the tests the school day will be almost over. I feel bad enough about that! But I wouldn't disturb the routine by removing her before the actual test dates.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I do wonder how much you guys actually case about your DCs' welfare :shock:. A few years back (exams for 2012 entry, possibly), the default position seemed to be keeping them off for as at least a day before - one poster's DC was taking multiple exams and was not going to be allowed to go back to school at all in September until the last one had taken place :lol: .

Our 11+ main date is always on a Saturday, but had it been on a school day, our DC would not have been kept out of school beforehand and would have been straight back to school for the afternoon session afterwards.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
RomfordDad

Post by RomfordDad »

Depends on how much time you already spent on the preparation and whether you think a bit more preparation can help. If you think it will help, then go for it, without hesitation.

A) It annoys school? The school didn't seem to care it annoyed parents when it essentially ignored grammar schools by having "secondary school info day" after some of the nearest grammar school's registration deadline.
B) Yeah, difficult when you need to have an adult discussion with a 10 year old and explain how certain things in life work.
C) Same as B), anxiety management for 10 year olds.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

A similar previous thread
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =5&t=45562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Romford dad "Go for it without hesitation".... can we quote you to the Headmistress as supporting evidence for a week off school?!

Seriously. It's an examination for ten-11 year olds. Cramming the poor souls with oesoteric vocabulary, flipping through 3 inches thick of flash cards, feeding them high protein and carb-loading in the days prior to the test a la university rowers.....

This stuff is important. But it's more important that your DC feel valued for themselves and not for the outcome of what you deem is an important test.

The higher importance you ascribe to the test, both verbally (by telling your DC the school isn't worth bothering about compared to eleven plus) and non verbally (by implying that the test is important and primary school is not) will not improve your child's score.

And -honestly- do you really think that late cramming will significantly alter your DC's outcome?

Sorry if I appear harsh, but your views are certainly not unusual on this forum. Don't fall for all the hype, your children's loves really are more important than their test score.
neuralc

Post by neuralc »

I am very glad I haven't kept mine off school - they've been back a few days and happy to be back with friends etc.
Anxiety and stress is evident, and back to school provides some normality ... and promotes good sleep...
piggys

Post by piggys »

Don't keep them off school. If your dc aren't ready now they never will be. :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now