Vocabulary flash cards

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tahm563

Vocabulary flash cards

Post by tahm563 »

Hi all,

I want to get some flashcards for DD to help her with her vocab and play some games. Which flashcards would you recommend? It's difficult to buy online as most flash cards don't show the content of the card. Looking for recommendations of flash cards.

Thanks
worrybot

Re: Vocabulary flash cards

Post by worrybot »

Hi tahm563,

I can't help you with the flash cards but on this site there is a list by Patricia for compound and important CEM words with some suggestions for games.

I am not sure if these would be helpful enough to you but do have a look.

Thank you
Thank you,

Worrybot
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

tahm563 wrote:Hi all,

I want to get some flashcards for DD to help her with her vocab and play some games. Which flashcards would you recommend? It's difficult to buy online as most flash cards don't show the content of the card. Looking for recommendations of flash cards.

Thanks
My suggestion would be to make your own flash cards. You can get these in WH Smith. It is more fun this way as your dd will be finding the meaning of the words using a dictionary. Writing a sentence or two would with the new words also help in understanding the meaning of the word.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I bought some sets of made up flash cards. They were quite expensive but given that I was not paying for a tutor I felt it was justified. I could have created similar resources myself but it would have been time consuming. I think that they were useful, however I used them as one strategy amongst many others to improve vocabulary.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

I looked at flashcards, but I couldn't quite see us using them. There were ones available from this site I think I also googled some alternatives. In the end, we didn't make our own flashcards but I did put our vocabulary etc into a quiz app to make it more fun. I did definitions, matching pairs etc which my DD seemed to enjoy. It was part of wider activity too though.
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

Octsmum wrote:I looked at flashcards, but I couldn't quite see us using them. There were ones available from this site I think I also googled some alternatives. In the end, we didn't make our own flashcards but I did put our vocabulary etc into a quiz app to make it more fun. I did definitions, matching pairs etc which my DD seemed to enjoy. It was part of wider activity too though.
Thanks Octsmum. That sounds fun. We are just trying to find ways to make learning vocab fun.Can you kindly tell me how to make these games or point me to the right direction please? Thanks.
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

Hera wrote:I bought some sets of made up flash cards. They were quite expensive but given that I was not paying for a tutor I felt it was justified. I could have created similar resources myself but it would have been time consuming. I think that they were useful, however I used them as one strategy amongst many others to improve vocabulary.
Hi Hera,
Thanks for your reply. Is there any brand you would recommend? There are so many choices, I really want to buy a comprehensive pack that contains all the words.
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

Would have to love to make my own. Just don't have the time. Since we are DIYing most of it, it's a lot of work to make own vocab too.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

The app we used was Quizlet. You put in your vocabulary, it suggests definitions or you can choose your own. It then creates some 'quizzes' with them.

Good Luck

OctsMum
Newbie11

Post by Newbie11 »

tahm563 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks
We used http://vocabularyflashcards.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, they were quite good. A bit expensive though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now