study plans/progress...and cgp scores

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

brum_mum

study plans/progress...and cgp scores

Post by brum_mum »

Hi All!
We've started doing some 11plus specific work with ds (year 5). We only have the cgp cem range at the moment 10-11-although that will take quite a few months me thinks. Not sure how people manage all the books and resources listed on various posts-probably pick and choose, or are more disciplined.
My post is two fold...
Firstly, I was curious to know how much other kids are getting correct with these practice books. I'm completely at a loss whether the marks ds is getting is ok-ish, good, or completely off target.
Would be grateful if anyone else using the cgp practice books can respond.
Secondly, it would be nice to have some other mums of year 5 to join the thread...we can compare scores, strategies, and resources along the way.
squareofthewicket

Re: study plans/progress...and cgp scores

Post by squareofthewicket »

brum_mum wrote:Hi All!
We've started doing some 11plus specific work with ds (year 5). We only have the cgp cem range at the moment 10-11-although that will take quite a few months me thinks. Not sure how people manage all the books and resources listed on various posts-probably pick and choose, or are more disciplined.
My post is two fold...
Firstly, I was curious to know how much other kids are getting correct with these practice books. I'm completely at a loss whether the marks ds is getting is ok-ish, good, or completely off target.
Would be grateful if anyone else using the cgp practice books can respond.
Secondly, it would be nice to have some other mums of year 5 to join the thread...we can compare scores, strategies, and resources along the way.
Welcome to the forum.

My suggestion would be to not do timed papers at this stage as it is too early in the 11+ prep cycle. Your DS needs to first learn the techniques; an idea would be to go through the 11+ syllabus at LInk removed by a moderatorif you are DIY. If your son is being tutored, the tutor should be providing this kind of information for you.
brum_mum

Post by brum_mum »

I agree, it's too early to do timed tests. We are doing the practice books not the 10min tests or practice papers. I'm hoping this will be a way for us to learn the content. I was curious as too how other kids are doing on the practice book material.
Thanks very much for the parents help link. I've not come across this.
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

We started doing the 10 minute tests, however I don't time her yet. Her tutor suggested we do them from January. When we started, we started off with 9-10 years. Now moved to 10-11. It took 3 months for her to get used to the style. She used to score around 50-60% range when we started. Now, she scores 75-100%(would say 80% on average) and is able to do it within the time limit (but I don't put too much pressure on time). Would love to hear from mums who tried them before and what scores their child were getting.
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

My DD is in year 5 and we have been using the CGP CEM books as well.

We started with the study book and parents' guide which goes through the different types of verbal reasoning. It has an assessment test as well to show the current level of your DC (i.e. book 8-9, 9-10 or 10-11). You can then purchase the practice books for the appropriate "level" (age range). I made the mistake of not using this assessment test on my DD and went straight for the 10-11 practice book because she is 10 and thought it would be fine. It knocked her confidence a bit. So I stopped the 10-11 book and went back to the 9-10 book. It built up her confidence again and she is ready for the 10-11 book. The practice books have assessment tests at the back and then inside the back cover it gives you a guide on how to interpret the scores. My plan is for her to finish the 10-11 practice book and then move on to the 10 minute tests and then the practice papers. Time never seems to be an issue for my DD, it's the cloze questions!
Decisiontime639

Post by Decisiontime639 »

We are using the CGP CEM 10 minute tests (comprehension, maths word problems, VR etc.) complemented by other books like bond, and free resources from the internet.

Has your child been structuring their learning (e.g by making a timetable and writing what practice to do)? This might prove helpful for them as they won’t procrastinate.

E.g
Monday
*Letts Comprehension Book
7am Paper 1
4pm Paper 2
7pm Paper 3

This is just a suggestion, what my child does. Every child is different and has their own ways of working. For some, it may be starting off with practice papers, seeing where they made mistakes. For others, it may be to work through the study guide and complete all areas and then go on to practice papers.

Decisiontime639

Edit. My child is getting around 8/12 in the comprehensions cgp.