Parent fights to prove 11+ doesn't add up!

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SGmum

Parent fights to prove 11+ doesn't add up!

Post by SGmum »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loobylou

Re: Parent fights to prove 11+ doesn't add up!

Post by loobylou »

I read this the other day.
I have no axes to grind either way but I couldn't really understand the points he was making.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Frustration and anger are drivers for action. I guess he sees the inherent unfairness of the system and doesn’t like it..having been at the appeal end of things...it’s not a great place to be especially if you know you have a bright child...but then we all believe our children to to bright and deserving of the best education if they are 11 plus material....right??
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

loobylou wrote:I read this the other day.
I have no axes to grind either way but I couldn't really understand the points he was making.
I think it's about parents' right to know their child's 11plus exam raw scores. However, I am not sure if it is actually a problem as I have heard some people claim they were able to request raw scores directly from CEM.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I also read this and couldn't really work out his rationale.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

I don't understand his point. If two children get 60 questions correct and one ends up with a slightly higher 'final' score, that's down to age standardisation.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

Haven't read the article but just responding to previous messages. We managed to get raw scores from both CEM (Bexley) and GL (Kent). What I think some people might be interested in, is seeing the data sets (raw scores) for all pupils who sat the exam.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

One of those marvellous occasions when everyone seems to be in the wrong :lol: .

Raw scores won't tell the father what he wants to know, which is why his son didn't pass the 11+. They also won't help parents who see that a raw score of 60% was a pass last year but this year the test was a bit easier so you needed 62% to pass.

But CEM's argument, as set out in the article, that raw scores enable tutors to teach to the test, is also suspect. How would raw scores help tutors? I suppose they would find out how many questions were asked, but literally nothing else, unless I'm missing something.

There are certainly arguments in favour of being more transparent about the standardisation process but that doesn't seem to be what this gentleman is arguing for.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Has anybody heard how this went?
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

It's been adjourned - this is the only article I could find https://comprehensivefuture.org.uk/11-p ... g-decides/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;