Cloze tests - starting off

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
food4thought

Re: Cloze tests - starting off

Post by food4thought »

thank you everyone, that is appreciated. i think she likes reading... but she loves youtube. it's a problem for all parents i guess. she watches clips of making slime and other nonsense. i let her do it, but have to remind her to read for 30 mins as well. i'll certainly take you advice and read with her instead.
Ellarootoo

Post by Ellarootoo »

BizzyM wrote:Poor child. You will burn her out. Just start with reading for now. Once she becomes a more able reader, develop the books in terms of difficulty. Believe me that is all she needs. I wouldn't recommend starting preparation until early year 5. I started in the summer holidays which personally I think is much more pragmatic as it is daily repetitions so they store things much more efficiently.

Don't stress her at this age. Let her learning be fun and less synthesized. But again just encourage the reading, once she engages with books everything else will piece together.
Bizzy M, if she’s 9, there’s a 50/50 chance she’s already mid-way through year 5. Obviously if she’s an older year 4, more structured preparation can definitely wait, but if she’s a younger year 5, this is probably a good time to start, alongside encouraging a love of reading.

F4T, I would definitely concentrate more on the enjoyment of reading, rather than aiming for a target time per day. Do you read aloud from her current book for her bedtime story? Or do you read from something different and your dd reads Narnia to herself? Do you chat to her about the book or have her read aloud to you? I don’t want to assume you’re not already doing those things, but if not, add in a little extra discussion and sharing of books to really promote the love of books. Maybe set aside some special time when you have hot chocolates or some other treat, and each curl up with your own books to quietly enjoy them together. Hopefully then you’ll find she’s choosing to spend more time reading.
Ellarootoo

Post by Ellarootoo »

food4thought wrote:thank you everyone, that is appreciated. i think she likes reading... but she loves youtube. it's a problem for all parents i guess. she watches clips of making slime and other nonsense. i let her do it, but have to remind her to read for 30 mins as well. i'll certainly take you advice and read with her instead.
Only just seen this. It might work better to set a shorter time limit on YouTube time per day* so that she has more time to fill with other activities, and hopefully one of them will be reading for pleasure.

* Not sure what limit she already has, but it doesn’t sound like there would be any harm in making it shorter. If she’s into slime etc, maybe find a book she can use to make various kinds, rather than following the instructions on YouTube. Same end result, but more reason to love books. (My girls love making slime too - it is fun stuff!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now