Dip in scores

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sez

Dip in scores

Post by Sez »

Hello

My son is currently in Year 5 & has been doing some prep for CEM since October. We’ve recently stepped up the work and I have noticed a dip in his results.

Those with prior experience, would you say this is down to a natural progression through harder progress papers (Schofield & Sims) or a sign of possible overworking?

Also, at what point should I start to consider that his scores mean that GS may not be realistically achievable for him?

Finally, is it always best to let the child work independently through the paper/work knowing that they might leave gaps or to allow them (at this stage) to ask for some guidance on tricky areas?

Thanks so much

:)
Daogroupie

Re: Dip in scores

Post by Daogroupie »

You will get better response if you post this in the CEM section.

Which CEM exam is he taking?

What is actually happening to his scores and what are they?

Is there a particular aspect of CEM that he finds particularly difficult?

Is he motivated to go to the school? Does he have friends also trying?

He needs to do the paper in an exam environment and then you need to go through it with him in great detail immediately after. DG
Sez

Post by Sez »

Thank you, I will repost in the CEM forum.

He will be sitting for Ilford County High so English, Maths, VR and NVR papers.

His English scores, for example, were 77%, 79%, 84% but the latest one was 70% which has concerned me.

Maths 78%, 91%, 73%, 70%

VR has been reasonably consistent around the mid 80s percentage and NVR has shown consistent progression from low 60s to low 80s percentage.

I would say the area he really needs more work on is expanding his vocabulary. He’s a voracious reader but I think he’s guilty of ‘skimming over’ some words. He also needs to reduce his amount of careless errors from not reading the question properly.

He is motivated to go to the school and a number of his friends are also trying, but he believes they do less work than him! How he would know this, I have no idea!

Ok, that’s what we have been doing with the papers, I just wanted to check as he finds the gaps quite demotivating.

Thanks for your reply
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

Hard to say without a bit more info! Forum members don't now how much work you've been doing or what you've been doing to say whether it's the papers or over work..

I'm assuming the 11+ test is in September as I don't know where in the country you are & therefore what schools / score you need to be aiming for...it also may be down to the fact that he hasn't covered some of the curriculum needed yet?

It's still only April - I'd give probably give some guidance or leave unanswered & go through everything with him afterwards on tricky areas - it might in part be to some gaps in his knowledge coverage which you can then work on.

Perhaps if you can some more info - others will be able to come forward & help
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Mods....OP has started two threads...please could you merge them in the CEM section?
Sez

Post by Sez »

Sorry!
Sez

Post by Sez »

Hello,

Thanks for replying!

Sorry, I wasn’t sure how much information was too much!

My son has been attending weekly 1hr sessions tailored to the 11+ at a local tuition centre. Through this he can access online tests in VR and NVR & he was doing one or two of these a week (about 10 mins each) but is now doing 3-4.

Since March we have started with the Schofield & Sims progress papers, trying to do 1 or 2 in each of the 4 topics over the course of a fortnight (they take 50 mins each).

Over these Easter holidays he has started using the CGP 10 minute test books and doing one of those every other day.

11+ test in September. We’re in Redbridge so aiming for a standardised score of over 104 but, personally, 110+ to hopefully get a place at Ilford County High.

I definitely think he hasn’t covered some of the curriculum at school but is working 1-2 years ahead with curriculum based work at the tuition centre.

Thanks for the advice about the papers. This is the part I find the hardest to manage as I don’t want him to be demotivated by gaps, but also don’t want him to use me as a crutch.

Really appreciate your reply and any advice from those more experienced than me!

Sez
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Mods....OP has started two threads...please could you merge them in the CEM section?
Merged and tidied up.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Thank you!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

OP, Who has told you that your ds is working 1 to 2 years ahead? Was it your study centre?

Is it likely that in one hour a week he could get 1 to 2 years ahead of his year group?

I suggest you do a mock elsewhere to see if that is really true because it seems very unlikely.

Have school made any comment about this enormous leap in his level?

Do you get any overall results from your study centre that you can compare him against?

Understanding where your ds stands in his cohort will be key. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now