Mock scores, need advice

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PoppyPup

Mock scores, need advice

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi all,

My DD has sat two Mocks with the Shirley based company, I have searched the forum and found posts/responses and read them but really would like to know how to help my child.

In both tests she scored 64 %, I know time is an issue for her, timings are very tight (as they are in the real exam) so I need to help her with her speed without losing accuracy.

In the CGP 10 min test she achieves 58-88% in most tests with a handful at 90% +

She really wants a place at Camp hill girls and I have told her all the schools are good, even if she doesn’t achieve a qualifying score, I know she will do well at a comp.

She however has her heart set on Camphill. We have been to see a few grammars and this is the one that impressed her the most.

She is Aug born, will take the 11 plus few weeks after turning 10.

I think I need some reassurance, I am reassuring her but I must admit with the mock scores I’m starting to feel nervous for her.

Our biggest issues are speed and problem solving (Maths)

We do time the 10 min tests and I’ve been guiding her to increase her reading speed on the texts.

Without time constraints her scores are fine.

Those who have already been through the process, sis your child manage to increase their speed closer to the exams ?

Many Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Mock scores, need advice

Post by kenyancowgirl »

To be honest, the score is basically irrelevnt - it is the ranking that matters. The mocks might give you this but, again, it will be partly irrelevant as it will only give you a ranking within the cohort who sat the mock test, whereas that is very different from the cohort she will be up against eventually.

Practice times tables to help with maths speed.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Thank you Kenyancowgirl, my DD is disheartened by it all, her confidence has taken a knock which is making matters worse. I will keep trying to keep her spirits up. They did provide a ranking, I think it was 114th out of 243 girls but as you say, it’s just for those who sat the mock that day.

Luckily she’s up to speed on her timestables.

Appreciate your reply.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Focus on the timing.

Watch her and work out where she is wasting time. DG
Cecilcaterpillar

Post by Cecilcaterpillar »

Just keep working on exam techniques too. Some tutors suggest underlining key words in text but this was slowing my DD down. Also we suggested that elimination of the obviously wrong answers often meant an educated guess between 2 answers and not perfection. You might find that she'll be getting the correct answer without over thinking. However that said we were advised that we should be aiming for around 80percent for camp hill. Keep ploughing away over the summer you still have time
guest201

Post by guest201 »

PoppyPup wrote:Thank you Kenyancowgirl, my DD is disheartened by it all, her confidence has taken a knock which is making matters worse. I will keep trying to keep her spirits up. They did provide a ranking, I think it was 114th out of 243 girls but as you say, it’s just for those who sat the mock that day.

Luckily she’s up to speed on her timestables.

Appreciate your reply.
Did they indicate below the score/ranking whether she was "on track" to achieve a grammar school place, I believe they have a scale, or at least they used to.
Look at the scores for each section and see where she has lost the marks, is it in the vocabulary for example? Also remember the children who study with this company will have been better prepared for this particular mock than the children who don't, particularly in terms of vocabulary, they have probably studied the words that came up in the exam.
I don't think that is a bad score, use it as motivation to focus on weak areas over summer.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Thank you all,

Guest201, one of the mocks she was on track and the other one just below on track. I spoke to the company and instead of missing words in a passage they did missing sentences and this threw her. They said only just below though and I shouldn’t worry.

Cecilcaterpillar, we had the same with underlining, most the page was underlined but we’ve been working on what to underline as opposed to most the page. Told her only names, dates and places.

I got a detailed report, which arrived today and she didn’t get to answer 35 questions, which would made the world of difference to her score. She got 26 wrong.

It seems the biggest issue is exam strategy. Speed, guessing unknown questions etc.
Also,she likes to work it all out in her head which isn’t helping her as mistakes get made this way.

I too think that for Camphill she needs to be in the 80’s. She realises it too hence why she felt deflated. It’s hard for young minds to comprehend it all sometimes.

When visiting Camphill a few things happened that stayed with her and that’s why she’s had Camphill fixed in her mind.

I hope as has been said that over the summer she can make some headway, her tutor is surprised at her result and feels I shouldn’t worry either but as parents that’s what we do !

I really appreciate the replies and support.
WMMum

Post by WMMum »

We are in Warwickshire but had a similar issue with DD1 a few years ago. In her mock she got almost every question she attempted right, but her working was too slow and she did not attempt enough questions. I had a serious talk with her around July where we talked about how she could improve and how sometimes getting quicker only happened with lots of practice, (a bit like improving your running). I offered that we could find relevant material so she could practice most days over the summer holiday to give her the chance to increase her speed, or we could just do some practice over the summer and see how she did in the exam. I very much left the choice up to her. She choose to practice everyday (she had also fallen in love with a school) and we made sure to find the time for her to practice. On the first of March she got a place at her 1st choice school, SGGS in Stratford where she is thriving.
It really helped my daughter when I pointed out that she knew how to answer the questions, it was ‘only’ her speed she struggled with.
A concept we discussed with DD2 was her ‘best working speed’ so she remembered not to panic about the amount of questions but work as accurate and fast as possible.
It is difficult at this stage but much can change in two months.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

PoppyPup wrote:Guest201, one of the mocks she was on track and the other one just below on track. I spoke to the company and instead of missing words in a passage they did missing sentences and this threw her. They said only just below though and I shouldn’t worry.
My daughter was exactly the same, just below on track. She focussed over the summer, without getting obsessed, and achieved a comfortable pass.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

That’s really comforting to hear WMmum and guest201.

I’m really pleased to hear both your children got the school of their choice.

Thank you for sharing your experiences as it really has eased my mind somewhat.

We will continue to work on speed over the summer and I hope my DD will be able to pick up a good pace.

It’s good to hear from others that have been through the same situation.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now