Timing

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ciaowood

Timing

Post by ciaowood »

Hi, I've been working through the Letts CEM Get Test Ready Practice Tests with my daughter and am wondering whether the timings are really going to be that tight in the actual 11+. For example, last night my daughter did a 6 minute test answering 13 maths questions last night :o . Any words of wisdom would be appreciated! Thank you.
Tinkers

Re: Timing

Post by Tinkers »

CEM is known for being very time pressured.
poppety

Post by poppety »

Yes - I think one of the main challenges is the timings. My DD did a formal mock test a couple of weeks ago and there was a maths section with 28 questions to be answered in 10 minutes (so almost 3 questions a minute). It is tough!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In my experience the actual CEM tests are more time pressured than the published "CEM like" material.

Once she has done a few more I would be shaving time off what is stated on the materials. Do it in small bits. 30 seconds here and there. DG
ciaowood

Post by ciaowood »

Wow, I think I wan to cry lol! Ok, thanks - let the training commence...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think the main thing will be to make sure she knows it’s time pressured and how to deal with it. Some DCs would find it difficult to handle the fact they can’t finish a test and feel they’ve failed or done badly.
ciaowood

Post by ciaowood »

Thanks Tinkers - I have a plan in place for this week - we're going to work on speed and learning how to 'move on'!
newdud

Post by newdud »

I have very little experience with CEM papers.
Having looked at some of the CEM like sample papers the times are very very ambitious.

GS where children sit a full-on CEM paper, do they actually finish the paper on time or is it the objective that they
are NOT meant to be able to finish it and the object of the exercise is how they perform under pressure?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Some students will finish some sections as they have prepared for that speed, others will have to cope with not being able to finish.

This is the format that the North London Consortium has chosen because they feel it is less stressful than standard format Maths and English.

Personally I think it is the most stressful format I have ever dealt with as the sections change every year so students do not know what they will be dealing with.

However vocabulary will always be a major part of it and learning to deal with the timing essential and to move on and not get stuck on one questions.

Top table students used to being able to do everything tend to struggle with this aspect of CEM. DG
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

My DD also struggles with timing. Just wanted to ask, is CEM all multiple choice? The mock exams she has been doing at various centres aren't all multiple choices in Maths. Half of the maths questions are where she has to put an answer down, which can't be guessed.

She is one of those kid who needs to finish what she starts. She finds it really difficult to move on without doing a question. Aaarghh...the pressure.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now