Algebraic Equations

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ciaowood

Algebraic Equations

Post by ciaowood »

Hi, as I'm working through some of the Letts CEM practice material, we've come across this equation:

4b - 7 = 2b + 15

I'm not a teacher or a tutor, just a mum trying to help lol. I've tried to look up explanations of this sort and I'm struggling to find something clear enough for my daughter to understand. She's done basic algebra in class e.g. a+3=7 but this is somewhat out of my depth. Can I just ask if there are likely to be questions like this in the actual 11+? If I can't get her to understand how to do this, my simple answer will be to just move on as soon as you see it; don't waste time on it!

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.
Guest55

Re: Algebraic Equations

Post by Guest55 »

There should not any questions like this be as this is NOT in the new[ish) Primary curriculum.

I'd prefer you to ignore the question but if you want to know how this would be taught:

4b - 7 = 2b + 15

Using the balancing approach - which side has fewer b? [the right hand side] how many does it have? [2b]

We want to now subtract 2b from both sides [so the unknown is only on one side]

4b - 7 - 2b = 2b + 15 - 2b

2b - 7 = 15 now we need to look at the numbers and add 7 to both sides so we only has the unknown on its owm on the left.

2b - 7 + 7 = 15 + 7

2b = 22 now we know what 2b is we need to divide both sides by 2

2b/2 = 22/2

b = 11 now check by substituting back

4b - 7 = 44 - 7 = 37

2b + 15 = 22 + 15 = 37 so the solution [ie the ONLY number for which the equation is true] is b = 11
ciaowood

Re: Algebraic Equations

Post by ciaowood »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I had seen the answer and the workings in the book (plus many similar questions on you tube videos and google) but could not quite grasp it. I do now so thank you and I do hope this type of question is not in the 11+!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now