CEM 11+ wirral

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Walthams

Re: CEM 11+ wirral

Post by Walthams »

You should first focus on accuracy, then on speed. If you expect them to finish in 10 min from first go, they will just rush and do plenty of mistakes. It will end up in tears. You can start by Asking them to do a 10 min test the fastest they can - time them and see how long it took them, and then reduce the time slowly each time. Or you could give them 10 min and see what they can do in the given time, but then let them continue after 10 min if they haven’t finished so that they have a proper go at every question. From my experience speed is built up over time, with more practice and with more knowledge and with growing confidence.
poppety

Post by poppety »

I totally agree with the previous post - work on accuracy first and then the speed will come over time. If you push a child to work too quickly to start with they will simply make mistakes which will stress them out and make them feel very disillusioned with the whole process. If you build the timings up gradually (as their confidence and skill improves) they will feel much more comfortable working under pressure. I'm saying this as a parent who has just gone through the process this year (and my child passed for 4 schools comfortably).
cha

Post by cha »

Thanks for the information

I will start checking how long it’s taking her to finish and work on reducing the time gradually
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now