Comprehenstion - Any useful reading book list?

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Parent2019

Comprehenstion - Any useful reading book list?

Post by Parent2019 »

Hello Parents

My child finds CEM comprehension challenging. Are there any specific books i should be reading with him ?

xx
helen0209

Re: Comprehenstion - Any useful reading book list?

Post by helen0209 »

Parent2019 wrote:Hello Parents

My child finds CEM comprehension challenging. Are there any specific books i should be reading with him ?

xx
Hello

I wouldn’t say that there were specific books, but ideally it should be varied - authors, genres, fiction, non-fiction etc. When reading, discuss certain words and the story to ensure that he understands. Ask him why he thinks the author has written sentences in a certain way - what is the author trying to get the reader to think / feel etc.

I don’t know the age of your DC, but in Y5 we read things like Tom’s Midnight Garden, The Invisible Socks, Emil and the Detectives, The White Giraffe, The Railway Children, Scribbleboy, The Borrowers, Artemis Fowl, Danny the Champion of the World, Ratburger and the Roman Mysteries.
teacher

Post by teacher »

They are hard but that’s the level they need! therein lies the problem. As primary teachers we just don’t generally expose children to this level of difficulty ; there’s a tendency to annotate, explain, enable discussion, find a fun and engaging activity etc etc and the rigour of eleven plus texts don’t lend themselves to this. If children know what’s expected and are treated as special learners on a big endeavour they usually rise to the challenge.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

My eldest son, despite being a voracious reader (including complex, above age level fiction), always struggled with comprehension (especially inference) and his vocabulary wasn't great either. I do think reading with your child is important to ask those questions 'what do you think will happen next and why?', 'why do you think he/she did that ', 'why do you think he/she is upset' etc etc.

There are also some Making Inferences Worksheets (free) online you could try. I'm sure I've read somewhere that increasing vocabulary is one of the best ways of improving comprehension.

Good luck!