DIY CEM

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
umemuhammad

DIY CEM

Post by umemuhammad »

has any one diy CEM TIME TABLE for year 4 and year 5 ?
or any tips or tricks how to make a weekly time table for a year 4 preparing for 11 plus ?
helen0209

Re: DIY CEM

Post by helen0209 »

Hi, I personally would not have such a structured approach in Y4. Make sure you are reading lots and reinforcing times tables (multiplication and division).

Maybe do some comprehension one evening, NVR another, but in short chunks. Don’t do more than 20 / 30 mins at a time as you don’t want to put them off this early on. Don’t do past papers until at least the Easter of Y5.

Try playing games with words in them - scrabble, boggle etc. to expand vocabulary. Keep the learning fun.
sas03

Post by sas03 »

Hi

Where I can get the past papers for 11+ CEM?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

CEM do not issue past papers. There are CEM style papers available in the forum shop.
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There are no past papers but lots of great CEM format books in the forum shop next day delivery. Go and take a browse.

In my opinion timed past papers need to be started a lot earlier than Easter of Y5.

Timing is such a huge part of CEM that I feel it needs a lot of focus. DG
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Don't start too early with structured tests and revision. Make sure they are doing a lot of reading, and discuss what has happened in the book, including inferences. Find out which books the child really enjoys rather than trying to enforce particular books. Make sure they have instant recall of times tables and number bonds. The Ten Minute Tests books are excellent but I would start at Christmas year 5.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now