CEM NVR strategy for success

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SuperDad3g

CEM NVR strategy for success

Post by SuperDad3g »

CEM NVR seems quite challenging, particularly given the time pressure in the exam! Keen to hear from other parents (and tutors) on what is the best strategy for improving a child’s score in NVR? What is the best material and resource to use to develop this skill (Bond/CGP...)? The market is flooded with all sorts, and it can be daunting task sifting through the noise! My daughter is in Yr 5, thus we only have about 10 weeks left to prepare for the exam! Please do share your thoughts here or feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.
Pkaur

Re: CEM NVR strategy for success

Post by Pkaur »

Hi, we are in the same position. My son did a mock exam recently and he had to answer 10 questions in 4 mins. I struggle to do that!

Anyone who has knowledge of previous ~CEM exam over the past few years. is this the sort of speed you need?....24 secs a question?

We have started doing the NVR letts/Bond books and I count 10 questions and time my son for 4 mins and try to get faster....but all depends on the type of NVR question it is....so cubes/ nets take him ages.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I don't think you can attempt them all in that time. I think you have to guess some and attempt some.
poppety

Post by poppety »

My daughter did the CEM test last year. She passed comfortably but it was the NVR which she found the toughest - mainly due to the number of questions there were (not her inability to work them out). She practised a lot of timed papers beforehand (CGP and the Peter Williams 'Practise and Pass' books) and we made sure she practised all the different types of questions. We cut out cube nets so she could play about with them and see how they folded up etc. The big tip I would give is to count everything (number of sides, colours of shapes etc) to see if there is something that doesn't fit in the group. And don't spend too long on a question. If you don't know the answer, guess, but also mark with an asterix so you can return to it at the end if you have time. Good luck for your daughter.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

It would be difficult to count the number of sides/dots/shading/rotation of five shapes in 24 seconds including working out which is the odd/missing/next one.I think a strategy is needed!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now