The CEM test

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brackenboo

The CEM test

Post by Brackenboo »

For those who've had children take the CEM test am I right in thinking that within the 45ish minutes per test, they can tackle the sections in which ever order they prefer. E.g start with the maths, then NVR then comprehension. Just thinking going for the section my DD is stronger in/prefers might help her settle. I realise she would have to be more careful in making sure she answers in the correct sections of the booklet etc.
Tinkers

Re: The CEM test

Post by Tinkers »

They have to do the sections in order as far as I’m aware. Each section is timed separately
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which CEM test will your dc be sitting?

CEM is strictly timed tests with no ability to go forward or back.

Many candidates find the timing very difficult so it is a key area to focus on. DG
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Daogroupie wrote:Which CEM test will your dc be sitting?

CEM is strictly timed tests with no ability to go forward or back.

Many candidates find the timing very difficult so it is a key area to focus on. DG
Gloucestershire
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

My son did the Cem test in Gloucestershire last year. There are 2 halves to the exam. Both halves of the exam contain sections on NVR/VR/English/Maths. They are done in a specific order, and you can't go forward or backwards between sections. From talking to him, it sounds like you are given a time to complete a whole section eg maths. In the cgp practice tests you might have say 7 minute quick maths sub-section then a 15 minute long maths sub-section, but for the actual exam it doesn't sound like the sections are subdivided like this. Having said that, it might change for this year!
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Thanks Glos18. That is similar to the practise paper we got and I think will work better for being able to structure time etc.
Phoenix-Mum

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

How do they know or ensure children don't go back to questions they had missed if they had spare time in a different section?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Phoenix-Mum wrote:How do they know or ensure children don't go back to questions they had missed if they had spare time in a different section?
Invigilators will/should be checking.

Patricia
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As Patricia says, invigilators and also the instructions very clearly tell them not to - your child must listen to - and follow - instructions as any failure to do so will be recorded and may result in their test being voided if they do not follow the rules. To be honest, the CEM tests are so time tight, it would be very unusual for a child to have enough time in one section to go back and do others anyway but best not to risk it.
Phoenix-Mum

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

Not wishing to 'cheat' or anything but just trying to decide the best plan of attack for my daughter.
For example, she usually completes NVR quite quickly. The 10 minute tests she completes in about 6 minutes, usually getting them all right or just one wrong.
It would have been a good use of her time to check back through her answer sheet to check she'd marked an answer in each box.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now