Reading level

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2Socks

Reading level

Post by 2Socks »

Hi,

Lots of people have mentioned that reading is really helpful for passing the CEM exams. Fortunately DD has always loved reading (although I don't think she pushes herself as hard as she could).

I'm just wondering what level of books would a student who is likely to get a grammar school place be reading independently? If it helps, the school use the accelerated reader scheme, so it may be easier to say a level from there, rather than listing titles.

I see lots of mentions of the classics, but they obviously vary in difficulty significantly, and also if we read a book together then I can explain the meaning of words that aren't understood.

She is fine with most of the comprehension exercises that we've seen, although not so keen on the inference questions (maybe reads things a bit too literally?!). I'm hoping, therefore, that we just need to keep her going, and challenge a bit rather than having to really push her, but just wanted to check that I'm not being overly complacent about her skills!

TIA :)
Deb70

Re: Reading level

Post by Deb70 »

The inference questions are quite important, they do find those difficult at that age.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Thank you. We're getting there with the inference questions, just keep working on it!
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Once at GS English seems to be all about inference! It seems to be all they do! Which is why being able to read a wide range of fiction is so important I suppose.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Discussing them together is as important as reading them. DG
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Thank you, yes, we discuss them quite a bit and she's definitely improving.

From the sound of it, it's not her reading level per se that I need to work on, more getting her to see the finer nuances. Thanks all
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now