HBS admissions policy 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

HBS admissions policy 2018

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS draft proposals are now on the website. The date for the CEM first round is Tuesday 5th 5eptember the day after the proposed Maths exam at DAO. This clashes with the DAO music test but this is the same as last year.

DAO applicants were asked to specify on their applicant form this clash and DAO worked around the HBS test time allocations.

So last year the HBS CEM was the day before the DAO one and could be used as a dry run by dds. This year the DAO CEM is first on Friday 1st September so it will be the other way around for those dds in the DAO catchment area.

The HBS CEM is ten days before CEM Super Saturday and four days before the SW Herts CEM test on Saturday 9th September.

The second round for the top 300 applicants is as before an unspecified day in October.

What is new is an information leaflet that has been produced locally in NW11 requesting feedback on the current non catchment policy and its impact on the local community.

It quotes the average commute for HBS to be the highest of all 377 non-faith secondary schools in the whole of London at 7.6km almost double second placed Latymer at 4.8km (surprisingly no mention of QE) This number increases every year.

Less than 5% of the students live in the suburb and less than 8% in the whole of NW11

The leaflet gives details about how to give feedback on this by post or email with a closing date of this Friday 27th January at 4pm

DG
silverysea

Re: HBS admissions policy 2018

Post by silverysea »

That is interesting, I wonder why they have started thinking about catchment at this stage? It's insane to only look at small and very expensive NW11, I must look at that document!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Can't find the leaflet. Can you direct me please DG?

Interesting that they have added or clarified for next year, that looked after children of the borough in the top 300 get priority, and up to 20 Pupil Premium children in the top 300.

To my mind, the main problem is to get these girls to apply in the first place.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

When were the proposals published? Seems like a VERY short consultation period!

Is the quoted commute actual distance travelled, or as the crow flies?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sorry if I was unclear.

I don't think the leaflet was produced by HBS but by local people.

It was sent to me by someone in the local area.

It has been produced by someone who has done their research.

The leaflet is urging local people "We in the local community" to take "the opportunity to have our say on this"

It is possible they have been working with HBS as the closing date quoted is very specific. Friday 27th January 4pm. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I wonder how many girls from NW11 would want to come to HBS or would even want to sit for a test which attracts 2500 girls.

I think the local people might do better if they go for some thing like 5 or 6 km radius catchment.

We tried locally for years, but our local grammars reduced catchment to 14 km radius only. Another thing, parents could hardly influence governors thinking. Sad but true.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

The second criterion in oversubscription appears poorly worded. http://www.hbschool.org.uk/userfiles/he ... 0draft.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do they really mean "a maximum of 20 candidates who are eligible for pupil premium funding"? Surely not. :shock:

Are they trying to say, if you came in the top 300, but not the first cut of say top 100 by rank - regardless of how many of that top 100 happen to be eligible for pupil premium funding - you can have one of 20 places we've ring-fenced for pupil-premium eligible children who make the top 300 but not the top 100? And what if more than 20 fall into that category, how then do they tiebreak?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Probably not used to write criteria other than 'rank score order'.

They probably mean...
'Upto 20 places for candidates eligible for Pupil Premium funding and whose test scores are in the top 300 scores, in the rank score order.'

However, if these 20 candidates are also in the top 93 (or 100) scorers whose higher preference is HBS, than other PP candidates would not get these PP places.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

We've each interpreted it differently. The proposed wording is unclear. If anyone reading this plans to reply to the consultation, perhaps you could ask them to clarify what they mean?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

As the waiting list paragraph doesn't mention PP applicants, one assumes that the 'Up to 20' being offered a place in score order wherever they come in the top 300 is a 'one off' - i.e. a PP girl accepting a place on March 1st but then getting a higher preference would not be replaced, necessarily, by the next highest scoring PP girl on the waiting list, unless she happened to be first on the waiting list anyway. (I think the KE schools in Birmingham run separate PP waiting lists, but I may be wrong).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now