QE English 11+ exam questions

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petal8

QE English 11+ exam questions

Post by Petal8 »

Please can anyone enlighten me as to the content of the QE English 11+entry paper, I was told it would consist of part comprehension part grammar with 50 min duration...is this true? and would it be multiple choice?
ToadMum

Re: QE ENGLISH 11+ EXAM QUESTIONS

Post by ToadMum »

Petal8 wrote:Please can anyone enlighten me as to the content of the QE English 11+entry paper, I was told it would consist of part comprehension part grammar with 50 min duration...is this true? and would it be multiple choice?
No idea re the content, but this much I was able to glean from the 'Information for parents...' document linked to from 'Admissions' on the school's website:

'Each candidate will sit two test papers in a single session. Both tests will be in a multiple choice format, one containing questions on English, and the other containing questions on Mathematics'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

QE English is GL MC.

it consists of a comprehension followed by grammar questions.

Students report finding it straightforward but then it must be deceptive as those who say this do not get high marks in the results DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Petal8 wrote:Please can anyone enlighten me as to the content of the QE English 11+entry paper, I was told it would consist of part comprehension part grammar with 50 min duration...is this true? and would it be multiple choice?
Get the GL practice papers here:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/ ... ack-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to DS, the content and difficulty level are the closest you get to the real QE exam - except, in recent years, QE have increased the number of questions just to add that extra bit of time pressure!

So when you do these papers at home, give your DS 5 mins less than the recommended time.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Feedback I have been given on this has been that the QE exam papers are harder than the published GL papers. The Maths was particularly hard this year.

I think QE asks GL for a harder version as they have so many to get rid of.

I know 15 students who got a place this year and they all said the Maths was hard but the English a lot easier than expected. They were expecting everything to be harder. DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Daogroupie wrote:Feedback I have been given on this has been that the QE exam papers are harder than the published GL papers. The Maths was particularly hard this year.
Did they increase the number of Qs on the maths paper as well, or just have harder Qs?

2 years ago, DS thought that the FPTP practice papers were a touch harder than the GL papers, and thus harder than the actual exam. It seems as if the exam has now gone beyond the FPTP papers.

I don't think they're allowed to go into the KS3 syllabus, so it must mean that there are fewer of the "easier" Qs typically found on the 1st couple of pages of the practice papers.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I agree that FPTP is harder than GL but this year it was felt that the QE papers were harder than FPTP especially the Maths.

I don't think that the Admissions code includes anything about the content of the exams.

They have been increasing the number of questions in the English but in the Maths it appears to be the style of question. Very capable students told me that they simply did not know what they were being asked to do in some of the questions.

Of course if everyone finds it hard it is not a problem. I have tried and failed to find harder MC Maths papers. DG
Petal8

Re: QE English 11+ exam questions

Post by Petal8 »

Guys thank you so much for your wisdom. My son is good at Maths but struggles with English. Guess we will have to just hope for the best.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You have 18 weeks to focus on the English paper. You should be able to make some progress in that time. DG
Petal8

Post by Petal8 »

Thank you all for your contribution..although in parts helpful I would like to hear from parents of
DS who have sat last years entry exams (2016) or if you know of any to advice me accordingly and with 100% certainty to answer my original question re: English 11+ exam... is it part comprehension part grammar? and consists of multiple choice Qs? what is its duration?
Last edited by Petal8 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now