Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am 

Travelling from Radlett/Elstree/Borehamwood to DAO involves several public buses that then involve a walk. My husband thinks the journey is fine and he can often drive via work. I have concerns but actually any good school we could get into involves two buses so I’m just romanticising the notion of going to the local school...back in my day etc

On another thread a new bus from Radlett has been mentioned. Does anyone know anything about this?
I don’t want to ask the school and have looked on Sullivan/tfl etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:29 pm 

Why don't you want to ask the school? Surely they would want to offer any information if it helped their students get there? Or do they think you live somewhere else?

Your concerns are totally valid. Attending a local school is not a romantic notion. Think about yourself doing that journey every day for 7 years? Ask your husband to consider doing it for a week....and then imagine doing it for 7 years. Think of all the things your child could be doing during the time they would be sitting on and off several public buses....becasue they certainly can't do homework whilst travelling - not meaningfully anyway - or sport - or drama - or chilling with their friends.... Your child will perform better if they are not tired - travelling is tiresome - especially if there is traffic that makes any stated journey time a "romantic notion" - multiple changes are exhausting and could mean a child being repeatedly late if connections are missed - the school won't give any leeway for traffic issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:54 pm 

Balfron wrote:
Travelling from Radlett/Elstree/Borehamwood to DAO involves several public buses that then involve a walk. My husband thinks the journey is fine and he can often drive via work. I have concerns but actually any good school we could get into involves two buses so I’m just romanticising the notion of going to the local school...back in my day etc

On another thread a new bus from Radlett has been mentioned. Does anyone know anything about this?
I don’t want to ask the school and have looked on Sullivan/tfl etc.

Do you mean that the journey involves several changes, plus a walk, or that there are several routes, but all involve a walk? Is DAO your catchment school? Where do all the other DC go to from where you live and how do they get there?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:23 pm 

Thanks for replying.
We don’t really have a local school. Plans were made to create one but they fell through a couple of years ago. Everywhere is 2km+.
The school have transport information on their website so I don’t want to bother them - I’ll enquire on the open day. They must surely be accommodating if the buses turn up late to school?

Not many children nearby: Mill Hill County, Bushey Meads, Hertswood.
I am in catchment and they do know my address, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 pm 

Radlett is kind of in the middle of nowhere for schools!
I'm afraid I can't answer your question about the bus but there are quite a few children who come from Radlett/Shenley area; I'd have thought it could make commercial sense for a bus company.
The walk from the bottom of Dugdale Hill Lane is not bad though so the buses that go to Mutton Lane would work.
ETA I've just looked and it appears that the 398 which used to go has changed its timetable and is now completely useless for you. It looks as though a train to St Albans then the 84 is the only realistic public transport option - at an hour from the station to the school. It seems crazy when the distances involved are so small.
I would ask at the open day on Thursday. Hopefully someone will know if the potential new bus is more than just a rumour.