Question about Latimer admission process & CAF

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Feniya

Re: Question about Latimer admission process & CAF

Post by Feniya »

Stowic wrote:You won't find out your child's ranking until after the CAF application date so you just have to put Latymer first and hope for the best. Our LA have said as the exams are late this year, you can then withdraw selective schools before 1 March if you don't think you will get in, I guess if you're outside the 650.
If i withdraw before march , does my child get his second choice automatically or it will be random school where there is a space .
ToadMum

Re: Question about Latimer admission process & CAF

Post by ToadMum »

Feniya wrote:
Stowic wrote:You won't find out your child's ranking until after the CAF application date so you just have to put Latymer first and hope for the best. Our LA have said as the exams are late this year, you can then withdraw selective schools before 1 March if you don't think you will get in, I guess if you're outside the 650.
If i withdraw before march , does my child get his second choice automatically or it will be random school where there is a space .
Whether you withdraw your application for Latymer or not (and as I have said, there is only a point in doing this, if your LA allows a substitution to be made after 31st October and not regarded as a late application), your DD will be allocated a place at the school you ranked highest of your preferences, for which she qualifies. So if you go:

Latymer: no offer can be made
Schools B - D: no offer can be made
School E: offer can be made
School F: offer can be made

... in that case, you will get School E. You won't get School B regardless, just because you can't have Layymer.

Also in the above example, if you only put Latymer, plus Schools B and C on your form, you would definitely get the nearest undersubscribed school, which could be both not a very good school and miles away / difficult to get to.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx