Chancellors or Mount Grace?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PROBSNAIVE

Chancellors or Mount Grace?

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

I'm a bit nervous about posting this thread as these aren't the type of schools usually discussed on the forum. But if my dd does not get a place at DAO then these are my two other realistic options. Just wondered if anyone had any experiences or opinions to share on which is the better option?
Daogroupie

Re: Chancellors or Mount Grace?

Post by Daogroupie »

These are both good schools. I would say that Mount Grace is more locally based and Chancellors takes from a wider catchment area. Students from Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, Cuffley and Potters Bar go to Chancellors. They get in because Brookmans Park is not big enough to fill the school and I would imagine that many people who live in those whopping big houses have plenty of money to go to private schools. You should see the coaches that line up by the fish shop going to Habs Boys and Girls, St Albans Boys and Girls and Merchant Taylors. Mount Grace on the other hand strikes me as a school that most people walk to. Unfortunately the number of Hertfordshire students gaining a place at DAO has been going down over the last few years and so there are many more students in Potters Bar walking to Mount Grace than walking to DAO. I have been told that manhy of the local primaries are more focused on MG rather than DAO. I have even heard that some of the local families think DAO is full of snobs and don't want their children to go there which is a real shame. But because Chancellors and MG are good schools many families cannot see the point of putting in the extra work to gain a place at DAO. If we lived in Potters Bar I think we would be more likely to walk to MG than get the bus or train to Chancellors. DG
PROBSNAIVE

Re: Chancellors or Mount Grace?

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

Thanks DG. I've visited both and liked both, hence the confusion! My only worry is the difference in GCSE A-C grades%. Chancellors has a much higher figure with Maths being particularly strong. So this was making me lean towards chancellors but MG does have a lot of advantages for us. I really enjoyed the open evening, the facilities are great and the much shorter distance. I was impressed by our YR7 tour guide who travels in from whetstone and after only 4 weeks he seemed to really love it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now