QE Barnet or Reading Boys??

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NIDAS

Re: QE Barnet or Reading Boys??

Post by NIDAS »

nyr wrote:11nuts, your recent comments about QE have been rather obviously negative and I note that you started a thread with very scathing comments shortly before the CAF submission deadline a few years ago. That thread in particular attracted a lot of attention. I am aware that your son has a very borderline 11+ score, his place being dependent on others rejecting the school, and this may be why you are taking a dim view of the school. Despite this, would it be possible for you to reflect on why, with your wealth of experience, you still have QE as your first choice?
This is what I felt as well... :x
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

11nuts wrote:My son is at QE, 6th form. We currently have 3 private tutors for him which each cost £50ph because that is the level of help he requires. He passed the original test comfortably but in order not to be in the lower 25% for the A level cull.
anotherdad wrote:That’s terrible. I’m sorry you have to do that. I would run a mile from QE, knowing that. "A level cull" is just not something that any decent school should have. What are they afraid of?
mitasol wrote:Please try not to use inflammatory language. The QE sixth form has less places than the main school so not all pupils can proceed to A levels.
The term "A level cull" is in itself inflammatory.

In this situation, we have a boy who was tutored to achieve the academic level that would allow him to pursue his chosen A' Level subjects at QE. He now needs to be tutored to keep up with the academic requirements of the A Level course.

The fact that he wouldn't have met the initial academic requirements without tuition could perhaps have been a warning sign for boy and parents alike. Extensive tuition throughout the 2 years of A levels is something the school's policy, if not circumvented, would possibly avoid.

Philosophical question: Should the education system allow students to study whatever they want, regardless of the potential impact on the student's grades and further academic/employment prospects?

Sorry for being completely off-topic regarding the choice of QE or Reading Boys. As a QE parent, I'd say that if I lived in Berkshire I would choose the local option.
Sarmum

Post by Sarmum »

NIDAS wrote:
nyr wrote:11nuts, your recent comments about QE have been rather obviously negative and I note that you started a thread with very scathing comments shortly before the CAF submission deadline a few years ago. That thread in particular attracted a lot of attention. I am aware that your son has a very borderline 11+ score, his place being dependent on others rejecting the school, and this may be why you are taking a dim view of the school. Despite this, would it be possible for you to reflect on why, with your wealth of experience, you still have QE as your first choice?
This is what I felt as well... :x
I feel the same too. In another thread, 11nuts says, they had a problem of facing the QE cull and that the problem was real, how then did he continue to stay for sixth form at QE? If you pay £50 an hour to 3 different tutors for a levels, you will surely not choose QE for DS2, will you? At least I wouldn’t. Sorry, something doesn’t seem right here. Some would believe all your experiences if you did not opt for QE as first choice, but you seem desparate for a QE place for DS2.
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

I think you have misread my remarks. I am not biting my nails in the hope that a place becomes available at QE. We have managed to pass Slough and Watford and at this stage we are looking forward to one of those schools.

I have been asked many times and repeated many times that the school is very academic. I have also posted the level of tuition we are currently running.

You are welcome to tell me that your DS did not need any help and passed by doing 2 past papers in the summer without any further help and I will not for a second believe you. I know what it takes. There is not a child in QE who is not tutored I am afraid before 11+, before GCSES and before A levels.

You are confusing my posts with other people who refuse to be honest.
nyr

Post by nyr »

11nuts, I must have misunderstood the meaning of first choice here:
11nuts wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Please read the first page of the thread. ...
Yes, but QE was our first choice and really a bit worried now. Are the SW exams easier? Would you know the score required by WGBS, I am trying to use the difference to calculate what he needs to get in.
In any case, if you really believe that all the boys at QE are tutored for GCSE and A level exams then you have another think coming. I assure you that my Y11 son, who is a few months away from his GCSE exams has been nowhere near a tutor since he started at QE. For his 11+ exams, he saw a tutor for 1 week during the summer holidays and this was at her invitation. Though, yes, we did DIY for the 11+. Of course, you may choose to disbelieve this and you may invite others to disbelieve this.
ritz667

Post by ritz667 »

I concur with nyr

My son who just finished his A Levels at the school this year has never been tutored.
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

Lol - not tutored for 11+.

They must be naturals at GL assesment papers then, obviously.

Anyway I am going training (sprint-running). I am part of a group(25) which has 3 coaches. Perhaps I need help finding/pushing for my potential? ;)
nyr

Post by nyr »

I did write that we DIY for the 11+ but, yes, there are many children for whom reasoning comes very naturally. Though, of course, this may be through conditioning over a long period of time, giving the semblance of being natural.

Interesting though the discussion may be and I still mull over the meaning of "first choice", we digress.

ccheeti and wasbie1, you may want to stick with Reading Boys. By all accounts, it seems to be a great school.
ritz667

Post by ritz667 »

Apologises he was tutored for the 11 plus but then after he had no tutors
NorthLondonMummy

Post by NorthLondonMummy »

[quote="ritz667"]I concur with nyr

My son who just finished his A Levels at the school this year has never been tutored.[/quote
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now