QE Boys results Historic marks background info

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crizh_dreams

Re: QE Boys results Historic marks background info

Post by crizh_dreams »

Thanks THISISNUTS & DAOGROUPIE for your advice... My DS is settling fine in our local indie, but would like an offer from QE!!! I will get in touch with the school as advised here and see where we go...
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler »

Is anyone aware of QE taking in more than 180 at Y7. My son started at QE this year and he tells me that there are more than 30 in his class and they have also been informed that there are now a total of 194 Y7's. Any reason behind that?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Money? Additional funding comes with every pupil.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sizzler wrote:Is anyone aware of QE taking in more than 180 at Y7. My son started at QE this year and he tells me that there are more than 30 in his class and they have also been informed that there are now a total of 194 Y7's. Any reason behind that?
Successful appeals? Seems a lot, though. And they wouldn't / shouldn't still be taking boys in from the waiting list now if they had had to go over PAN with successful appellants.

I'm sure the extra revenue for five years, would come so handy, though, looking forward to losing 54 or so lads' worth of it at the end of year 11.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

ToadMum wrote: I'm sure the extra revenue for five years, would come so handy, though, looking forward to losing 54 or so lads' worth of it at the end of year 11.
Ouch ! :wink:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

14 more is quite a hike. HBS has been doing this for a couple of years now. Official figures still 93 but seem to be taking 100.

I can't imagine on what basis QE would lose 14 appeals so have they taken more from the waiting list?

I am surprised they have room for 14 more as their classrooms are not particularly big.

We will find out in a few weeks time what the last score was for this year when QE invite the boys who score 210 and above to visit the school on a working day.

Will it have perhaps reached 224? DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Daogroupie wrote:14 more is quite a hike. HBS has been doing this for a couple of years now. Official figures still 93 but seem to be taking 100.

I can't imagine on what basis QE would lose 14 appeals so have they taken more from the waiting list?
The new joiners reported by DS bring year 8 totals up to 31 or 32 per class. So this seems to be intentional, not the result of lost appeals.

Perhaps they're loading up now in order to have a full complement of 180 at GCSE, without having to recruit at that stage.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Deliberately taking an extra 14 this year - taking some classes to 33, assuming it's normally six forms of entry - really wouldn't do a lot for the school's case at appeal in subsequent years.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
shamdurga

Post by shamdurga »

Anyone in the forum knows how the QE score is being calculated. I understand they do take age into consideration.
Daogroupie if u are around on forum can u plz bring some light .
Thanks
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

This gives a good basic explanation of standardisation:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately it also says "The standardisation process has “awarded” extra marks to the younger child to compensate for their younger age."

This is misleading, as it implies that standardised scores are calculated for the group as a whole, and then extra marks are added to younger children.

What actually happens with age standardisation is that 12 separate calculations take place, one for each birth month.

Then, if September born children have an average mark of 80% on the test, that mark translates to a standardised score of 100 for that group.

August born children might only average 77% on the test, translating to a standardised score of 100 for that group.

So August children who do score 80% are already above average compared to their group. So they may get a standardised score of 105 for example. That's how younger children end up with a higher standardised score, for the same raw marks.