HBS Waiting List 2017

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bibliovore

HBS Waiting List 2017

Post by Bibliovore »

It seems to be a tradition at this time of year to have a thread for those whose DDs are on the waiting list for HBS after National Offer Day, so I will start one.

From last year's thread it seems at this point that the school had already informed waiting list candidates of their precise position on the WL. Is that correct? The results email we received from the school only gave a vague indication (top 20). Has anyone received a more precise figure?

Last year it seems the WL reached 20 around mid to late March and the previous year it got going rather more slowly. In collective memory, has the WL ever stalled before it got to 20?

Finally, as we are not living in Barnet, but another London borough, who would we expect to be the conduit for information: Barnet, our home borough or the school itself?

Thank you for any insights!
daddyshah

Re: HBS Waiting List 2017

Post by daddyshah »

My dd would also be on the wl. But I have had no communication from the school - the outcome was through the e-admissions system and no emails were received. Hence no idea of positions on the wl at the present time. I expect the school will inform us in the next day or so about the wl positions. From speaking to offer holders, they have been invited to an open session today.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I expect all Band A's to get in as they must be very high on the waiting list.

The list went to 43 last year so anyone in the top 20 should get a place in the next few weeks.

I am surprised there are three Band A posters on here with no offer. I wonder how many more they are.

I personally know four Band A's who have got scholarship offers at Habs and NCLS who will be turning down the place in the next few days. DG
Bibliovore

Post by Bibliovore »

It seems that the school has invited the top 20 from the waiting list to the open events.

I guess this means they expect at least 20 places to come free after the response deadline on 15 March.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is a bit risky! They cannot second guess the intentions of parents.

Did they call it the offer holders event or the offer holders and 20 waiting list students event!

However it is very likely that 20 places will be released in the next few days.

A lot of Band A students will be holding places at Habs and NLCS. DG
daddyshah

Post by daddyshah »

Bibliovore wrote:It seems that the school has invited the top 20 from the waiting list to the open events.

I guess this means they expect at least 20 places to come free after the response deadline on 15 March.
Bibliovore

So did you receive an email from HBS yesterday inviting you for the open event today - their communication previously suggests that the open event was for offer holders only.

My daughter and her friend were both classified as Band A - both live within a 5 min walk in another Local authority. Her friend was offered a place yesterday and an invitation to the open event. My daughter was not offered a place and not invited to the open event today. So far, I have had no further communication from the school and no idea of WL place etc (we had placed HBS as our no 1 choice) - hence it all sounds a little strange if they have a formal waiting list and invited top 20 on there for the open event - could suggest dd is not in this cohort...
Bee

Post by Bee »

I know HBS offer holder from west London, who has a scholarship from an independent school here. They are still deciding whether to accept HBS & move or take the scholarship and stay put.

Looks like post 6 March there will be lots of offer for those on the top 20WL
roon129

Post by roon129 »

We are in the same boat. Didn't get any comms from school. DD got an A. Any idea if anyone with an A didn't eventually make it ?

Cheers.
Bibliovore

Post by Bibliovore »

Daddyshah,

We received an email from HBS just after the eAdmissions system went live for London at 5pm.

It said that given our DD's position in the top 20 of the waiting list, the school felt we would find it beneficial to visit tomorrow. They were not specific about the exact WL position.

I obviously can't know whether this means that those who did not get such an invite are definitely at WL rank 21 or lower, but it would seem logical.
daddyshah

Post by daddyshah »

roon129 wrote:We are in the same boat. Didn't get any comms from school. DD got an A. Any idea if anyone with an A didn't eventually make it ?

Cheers.
Banding system was changed this year - hence there was an expectation as evidenced by the many thread comments that Band A's would be very likely to secure offers fairly early in the process if not on offer day itself.

Its a waiting game for now
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now