DAO v QE

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sizzler

DAO v QE

Post by Sizzler »

Hello,

I sincerely apologise if there is already a thread on this topic but just wanted your preferences and opinions.

Apart from the obvious differences, co-ed/single sex, fully/partially selective etc which school would you chose for your DS and why?
loobylou

Re: DAO v QE

Post by loobylou »

There are a lot of threads comparing the North London selectives and even more about QE!
I can't speak for QE.
We chose DAO for our children for a number of reasons. One is because it's Co-ed and I didn't want them at a single sex school. I can't say if I'd have felt differently had I had children of the same gender - but I actively wanted them to go to the same school.
Before my dd went I really liked the feel of the school but obviously I didn't know an awful lot about it.
Now my dc are there - I like the fact that it feels quite laid back. Discipline is good but there are relatively few rules and it seems relaxed. The teachers have good relationships with students. There is an assumption that students are mature and sensible which I like.
The music is phenomenal and very inclusive. Sport is good (dd not involved, ds involved in everything!) as far as I can see.
The enthusiasm of most of the teachers is fantastic and that's probably the thing I like about it most of all - that my children have been so enthused about learning.
Pastoral care has been excellent. Effort is rewarded as much as achievement.
I'm sure many of these things can be said about QE (hopefully a parent from there will answer you too) but obviously I can only answer about DAO.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Hi Sizzler

There's one more obvious difference that you didn't mention - sibling policy. If you can take advantage of it in the future, it could be a crucial part of your decision.

QE offers no sibling places and no music places. It is unapologetically an academic school but not, on a day-to-day basis, a hothouse or exam factory. DS spends as much time on extracurricular activities as he does doing his homework. Bear in mind that having selected purely on exam results, they do run along at fair clip and expect the boys to keep up. So it won't be much fun for a daydreamy type.

Any boy who plays an instrument has the opportunity to be involved with an orchestra/ensemble/band. We've already had numerous invitations to attend performances at the school. But, reading DG's glowing reports, I suspect the music at DAO is at another level.

In an all boys environment they do set a disciplinarian tone at the beginning. But in reality the form teachers are the good cops, with only serious or persistent offenders sent to the bad cop - head of year. The year 7 team are focussed on the boys' transition from primary to secondary, and will take on the new batch of year 7s next year. DS will have a new form teacher who will see him through years 8 & 9 at least.

That's the extent of my experience with the school. We haven't reached the two big talking points - triple science selection and sixth form cull. There are MANY threads discussing those topics. I'm highlighting the issue for you, and the existence of all those threads, in the hope that this thread doesn't get bogged down in the same old debate!

Bottom line - it's a good school for my DS, but won't suit everyone.

Good luck with your decision making.
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

Hope it's OK to open up an old thread.

Thank you thisisnuts - I had not realised QE do not have a sibling policy. Having 2 boys, this is an important factor. Am aware of the other factors already mentioned by sizzler and the format of the entrance exams for both. Also not wishing to open up the sixth form cull debate - only looking at options at this stage.

We had always thought QE was "out of our league" but DS has taken some QE-style multiple choice English papers and scoring roughly 50% at beginning of Y5. What % approx. is required to get an offer of a place? He could easily travel to QE and is familiar with the area - his grandparents' house backs onto the school. DAO is within walking distance.

I would like to compare the following
[*] Maths exam - is QE's much more difficult than DAO?
[*] sport - DS's passion is football, but he already plays for a local club which can continue into secondary school
[*] school life - is it very pressured at QE? Is it all work no play?
[*] homework - how much do you get per night at either school eg in Y7?
[*] music - am aware how fantastic music is at DAO, it's not DS passion but am hoping he will continue to play an instrument
[*] any other factors to take into account

I appreciate this is a stressful time of year for some, so don't want this to be an emotive topic or wish to offend anyone, just asking for honest opinions perhaps from parents who already have DC at the school. Unfortunately we didn't go to the QE open day in July as didn't think it was an option. Will there be any other open days before next September?

We no doubt won't have the luxury of being able to choose between the two but at least will have all the information needed to make an informed choice

Thanks for any advice
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler »

Hello,

My DS has just started at QE (he was also offered a place at DAO). To be honest, we also thought it would be out of our league as such. But surprisingly our DS exceeded our expectations. We did the GL papers and the FPTP papers, he initially scored anything from 78% to 85%. We would repeat them until the scores would hit the mid 90's.

In terms of the school (QE) all I can tell you is that my DS is absolutely loving it. He is thriving on all the new subjects, new friends, new routine etc.

Yes they have had homework. I think initially all Y7's will find I tough but once they get into routine they will thrive on the drive!

Don't worry about the so called cull just yet.
Rsk

Post by Rsk »

I don't know much about DAO can't compare (with others), sure its a wonderful school.

Everyone knows about the Cull (thanks to this forum) and their selection about A Level choices - its not a secret, you subscribe for it.

We have lawyers, saviours, reformers, activists etc. on the forum who have nothing to do with the school, but one thread happy to read someone related to the school
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I just met up a few hours ago with a student who has just started QE Y7. His experiences are broadly the same as the Y7 DAO students I spoke to a couple of days ago.

My advice to you is to go for both and see how he does. If he gets 210 and above in the exam your family will have the chance to visit the school on a working day and meet with other families who are making the same decision.

Every year I know of a group of students who have worked really hard and also have had a bit of luck with the questions who get to choose between Latymer, QE or DAO for the boys and Latymer, HBS and DAO for the girls. Students who do well at one tend to get the other two as well.

These schools are more alike than different, they are full of inspiring passionate teachers who really want the students to do well and students who want to work hard and do well.

Some parents want a school that is 100% academic and others want the security of the sibling policy.

Every DS I know who sat DAO last year and got it also got QE and Latymer if they sat them. Every DD I know who sat DAO last year and got it also got HBS and Latymer if they sat them.

If I were you I would sit all three and then make my final decision in October when the results come out.

Any preparation you do for one will benefit the other. It is after all English and Maths.

Most families end up with a preference for one over the other, it is really personal preference. I think you will find that a front runner will emerge if you spend some time at both schools. DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Don't do QE style papers so early. It can only be demoralizing at this stage.

Start doing practice papers after Easter- and remember that by this time next year, DS needs to be getting 90%!

Regarding life at QE, see the comments in my earlier post. On average, HW in yr 7 was 1.5 hrs per day.

QE does seem to be the right school for DS. But if I lived in the DAO catchment, the sibling policy would have been very tempting :)