Latymer 2017

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anansiathespider

Re: Latymer 2017

Post by anansiathespider »

Nyr, I asked Latymer at what stage on the process they rank etc, as their published admissions arrangements were a bit ambiguous. They're not allowed to rank after the first round. Candidates have until mid January to move into catchment if they are offered a place. Latymer aren't allowed to exclude them from an exam to be sat before this date.
nyr

Post by nyr »

If only 650 do Round 2 then they must rank after Round 1.
anansiathespider

Sorry, I wasn't clear. They're not allowed to rank inner area candidates preferentially after round one. They can't require people to move into the catchment in order to be permitted to sit round two. There must be something about mid January (maybe it's when LAs/schools are finalising their allocations as per submitted CAF forms) that means that they have to give people that length of time to move into catchment if they are awarded a place.

This would be okay, I guess, if people only entered their child with a genuine intention of moving if they're awarded a place, although it seems fairly clear that this isn't the case for many entrants this year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

anansiathespider wrote:Sorry, I wasn't clear. They're not allowed to rank inner area candidates preferentially after round one. They can't require people to move into the catchment in order to be permitted to sit round two. There must be something about mid January (maybe it's when LAs/schools are finalising their allocations as per submitted CAF forms) that means that they have to give people that length of time to move into catchment if they are awarded a place.

This would be okay, I guess, if people only entered their child with a genuine intention of moving if they're awarded a place, although it seems fairly clear that this isn't the case for many entrants this year.
Including, for example, home address in the ranking of candidates taking a selection test is specifically forbidden in the Admissions Code. Prioritising those living within a defined catchment area which complies with the Admissions Code is legal, once one gets to the actual application stage (the naming of the school on one's CAF and submission of any SIF required).

What I am not sure of, is the statement that applicants not within the Inner Area by January 12th will not be considered at all, not just, once all in area applicants have been ranked. I have a niggling feeling that this one might get them into trouble and not just from the aspect that they may find themselves with chaises sans derrieres on September 1st.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
lisamum

Post by lisamum »

shamdurga wrote:I am a bit confused about the second process of Latymer test.As far as I am aware the top 650 will be called no matter if it is inner or outer area. My friend told me that this year over 300 pupis from a very reputed tuition centre came for test from outer catchment and these children came just as a mock as they have no plan to relocate .so does that mean inner childten will be at a disadvantage.if these children passed the first round
I thought there were 5 other tests on 15th July. Also, out of 300 students, I am sure only some are Latymer quality. Therefore, numbers that would have been deplaced from "Inner Pool" would be fairly negligible.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

IMHO, the potential problem with filling their places is a combination of having a second round test and only considering the applications of those who get that far and are in the Inner Area by acertain date as potential recipients of a place (assuming that the way that they had ranked schools on their CAF would otherwise get them one).

Re the IC issue, if they just stopped, full stop, at a one stage test, they could then state that they will give priority, with regard to place of residence, in score order to applicants living within the Inner Area by January 12th. Any remaining places to go OOC, in score order (they can have other categories such as LAC, FSM in catchment, or whatever as high priorities if they want). That way, they can go down to the 192nd IC applicant, if there are as many (and the school is obviously sure that there will be, or they wouldn't be so confident about paying that they will tear up and throw away everyone else's applications, would they?), without worrying wheties they came in the top 500,, 650, or 711. They could even stipulate a minimum score to be achieved, assuming that the score of at least the top 192, plus a healthy potential replacement number would be at least as high as any minimum they set. Just in case.

The school's problem really seems to come from wanting to both a) exclude applicants from outside the Inner Area and b) have both an eligibility test (the first round) and a ranking test (the second round), because it is only after both parts of (b) have occurred that they are allowed to start implementing any lawful means of achieving (a) and they cannot regulate who constitutes the sub-cohort progressing from the first part of (b) to the second, IYSWIM.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Maybe they need to ask the 650 (who are invited for round 2) if they are turning up for the round 2 exam or not. Any who are not turning up should be replaced with the next highest rank child after the 650th candidate. That way there won't be empty seats in the exam hall in Sept and they will have enough to fill up their 192 places in September 2018
anansiathespider

I'm not sure whether that would make any difference tbh, as I'm sure that people would view it as another 'free mock' and/or be keeping their options open.

I agree that the Admission Arrangements this year are messy and ill thought through, and that the document itself is clumsily worded. I don't think the school could have foreseen a 50% increase in applicants and so many OOC, although it now seems naive that it didn't.

Which is very disappointing for those of us whose children have put in a lot of work to have this one shot at their local grammar school.
nyr

Post by nyr »

These discussions are interesting, perhaps even cathartic, and hopefully they'll feed into the consultation for admissions arrangements for 2019 entry, but I guess the best that IC families can do now is to focus on preparing for a test in September.
Last edited by nyr on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anansiathespider

You're right nyr, absolutely.

The speculation and conjecture probably aren't particularly helpful, and the rumours definitely not, but it's a particularly anxious time for people, I guess.