Latymer 2017

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anansiathespider

Re: Latymer 2017

Post by anansiathespider »

We're not sitting any other schools leanmeanmum.

Would you be able to pm me the name of the mock provider at all please?

TIA
lisamum

Post by lisamum »

nyr wrote:Any child who is in the top 650, within catchment and wants a place at Latymer should keep plugging away towards the second stage test.

The data for 1st March 2017 allocations shows that the majority of higher ranked students (74% of those ranked in the top 100 and 47% of those ranked 101-200) were not allocated a places at the school, either because they were out of catchment or they simply chose to go elsewhere. This suggests that the odds for in-catchment, in-top-650 kids seem promising.

Here's a link to the data:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... dotheyknow

nyr

NYR, very interesting link. It appears that that to fill 191 positions, Latymer had to dig deep upto someone ranked 390. Therefore, it is kind of safe to say that top 400 will have provided 192 positions that will be filled next year. There might be another 70-100 additional out of remainder 250 students. Perhaps I need to read the admission policy; are all the tests of equal weight? VR=1, Maths=1, Sep English test=1?
shamdurga

Post by shamdurga »

I am a bit confused about the second process of Latymer test.As far as I am aware the top 650 will be called no matter if it is inner or outer area. My friend told me that this year over 300 pupis from a very reputed tuition centre came for test from outer catchment and these children came just as a mock as they have no plan to relocate .so does that mean inner childten will be at a disadvantage.if these children passed the first round
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

shamdurga wrote:I am a bit confused about the second process of Latymer test.As far as I am aware the top 650 will be called no matter if it is inner or outer area. My friend told me that this year over 300 pupis from a very reputed tuition centre came for test from outer catchment and these children came just as a mock as they have no plan to relocate .so does that mean inner childten will be at a disadvantage.if these children passed the first round
If the children from the inner Area get through to the second round, then the presence of hordes of children to whom the school will not under any circumstances, according to its published admissions policy, allow to take up a place, is very good news for those Inner Area candidates. Simply less competition. However, their presence is very bad news for any Inner Area children whom they may have displaced from the top 650 - because they, like the 'top 650' OOC candidates remaining OOC as at January 12th (which may be all of them, if they really have no actual interest in attending Latymer), have no way at all of obtaining a place at the school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
shamdurga

Post by shamdurga »

I believe if most of the outer catchment do better than the inner area in the first round then it will be a big big trouble to fill the spaces.Any idea how the school will deal with this situation.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

shamdurga wrote:I believe if most of the outer catchment do better than the inner area in the first round then it will be a big big trouble to fill the spaces.Any idea how the school will deal with this situation.
According to their published admissions policy, they will start the 2017/2018 academic year with unfilled places. The policy specifically states that applications from those not living within the Inner Area by January 12th will not be allowed to proceed. If there are not 192 from the Inner Area in the remaining applicants, who have placed the school in a position on their CAF above any other for which they also qualify, the remaining places will go unfilled.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anansiathespider

Post by anansiathespider »

It's untenable for Latymer (or any other state school) to have empty places whilst being oversubscribed. Not least from a financial point of view.

I suppose that we all have to sit tight, and see what the results of the first round bring. I do wish that this wasn't my child's exam year though. I'm fairly sure Latymer will be drastically reviewing arrangements for next year as well, in light of the tourist invasion and impact on the school and community.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I agree; this situation is completely crazy and very alarming. Shamdurga I am appalled at your post about 300 students from OOC taking the exam just as a mock - this is exactly why the school should never have been forced to remove its catchment criterion. (I realise it was forced to , reluctantly).

The school is going to have to review this situation very seriously. The idea of a school like Latymer which is always massively in demand and oversubscribed, beginning the year with empty places is a little bit sickening.
nyr

Post by nyr »

They just need to get the wording right in their published admissions arrangements. Assuming it's allowed, something along the lines:

Candidates will be ranked after Round 1 ... All candidates, in rank order, until the 450th ranked candidate resident in the catchment in June /July 2018 will be invited to take the Round 2 test in September 2018.

That way they'll have a sufficiently large pool of in-catchment candidates to meaningfully select from and enough to fill all their places.

Sadly, a bit late for this year. Actually, given the problems with bums on seats that they must have anticipated for September 2017 entry, it surprises me that they have two rounds for this year's tests.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

In previous years I know that they have phoned candidates' parents and asked them why they have been placed lower on their CAF form than other schools (the last time I am aware of that happening was 5 years ago).
Maybe, should the worst come to the worst, they will be able to call candidates from Round 1 who were just outside the 650 but inside catchment and ask them if they still want to attend? Hopefully it won't come to that. Maybe they can bring more than 650 back for the 2nd round (even if that goes against their published criteria) if it is clear that a huge proportion of that 650 is OOC?