Latymer Part 2 Test letters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Re: Latymer Part 2 Test letters

Post by Daogroupie »

I write English papers and it is hard to make them the same difficulty level even if you intend to.

In order for it to be fair it is much better to be the same paper. There were over 50 boys sitting the QE backup date last year which is not really "very few."

I know that when your elder dd sat the backup date at Latymer and DAO there would have not been so many, single figures for DAO, and this is why you are assuming that it would be the same for QE but in fact it is not not. QE lock the doors on the main date and also allow clashes so there are far more late sitters. DG
llhj

Post by llhj »

The reason so few are complaining is that even fewer actually intend their children to go to the school so they are invested elsewhere at the moment getting their dc through QEB and HBS.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

There is an assumption that this only affect the OOC children but it doesn't. It affects all the children.

In practical terms, I suppose, it's unlikely that many of the OOC children will be eligible for a place after the January cut-off - but in that case, why all the fuss about them sitting the same paper?

If I were a parent with a genuine and viable hope of going to this school I would want to know how the results from these two papers were going to be compared. Perhaps most of the IC parents don't know that the others will be sitting a different test?
llhj

Post by llhj »

Yes none of this Latymer cock up is beneficial to anyone. IC or OC. I am struck on a daily basis by how badly they've managed it all.
sa05

Post by sa05 »

DG it was schools decision to give her backup dates due to her needs which I don't need to discuss with you.
You have always had an issue with it. My DD1 came to you for a couple of weeks and it's was helpful.

It was CEM only at Latymer and only one other DD from her school sat for it. So there's no chance of finding out any details. She wasn't attending a tuition centre so no way of finding out anything. She's such a disciplined child that she would walk away if anyone even tried. :lol:

I never wanted her to sit for DAO but she did because her friends were sitting it. She wasn't prepared for English or maths at the time because HBS 2nd round was in January. She still managed to score more than everyone in her class. So please don't try to undermine her ability. I did contact you regarding DD2 but you told me only dc from your centre can attend. Thanks for your help in the past but you mustn't hold grudges.
tomum

Post by tomum »

Daogroupie wrote:I will be surprised if this is the case as it is hard to create an English paper that is exactly the same as another and they are laying themselves open to more claims of unfairness.

The OC applicants were expecting the paper on Sunday 17th September like everyone else but were prevented from doing so by Latymer.

None of them were given the choice to sit on the original date so they need to given the opportunity to sit the same paper.

QE uses the same paper for their backup date. DG
DG why you speak for the 291 OC people.
i spoke with the school and the reason the backup date is one week after is because OCC parents asked for it,. they complained they have been told to sit one week after and they ask for extra days.

when i complain on this forum the date should be the same, I have been told by occ parent and some respected member of the forum this is the norm and to shut my mouth. please read old posts on this forum. now i believe the reason is they thought they will sit the same test. you can't have all your way.

the fundamental reason you want them to take the same test is not because you think it will be marked unfairly or it will be hard. it is because you think occ and your students are better than IC, if it is the case is wrong and arrogant.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is nothing to do with ability. It is to do with the fact that it is harder to make English papers the same level. It is much easier to make Maths papers the same level.

As has been explained this impacts standardisation so it is fairer to have the same paper.

However if Latymer has confirmed in an email that it is a different paper then in the few days that are remaining there is really not a lot that can be done.

Hopefully it will be around the same level. DG
tomum

Post by tomum »

Daogroupie wrote:It is nothing to do with ability. It is to do with the fact that it is harder to make English papers the same level. It is much easier to make Maths papers the same level.

As has been explained this impacts standardisation so it is fairer to have the same paper.

However if Latymer has confirmed in an email that it is a different paper then in the few days that are remaining there is really not a lot that can be done.

no question you are know better regarding English and its paper than many of us.
i don't want to argue but i believe i may know maths better if not too much better. i am not bragging, I give training to office staff not in maths but something related. When i was young i was respected tutor in maths like you are in English. Still people beg me in master level for help. and i don't agree you can make maths test the same level. the thing is children cant remember 60 maths or verbal question, and so no problem if you give the same test on a different dates.

This is logic, not English or maths and i don't know why we all not agree about it. written test is easy for cheating, it is two word question and the children will remember it for life and not good for different dates. what QE or hbs or did last year doesn't make it right.

standard test by itself is arguable . different tutor will give you different score for the same test.
what i believe is weather it is same test or different the marker easily identify who can write better, so tell your student nothing to worry.
copella

Post by copella »

Daogroupie wrote:It is nothing to do with ability. It is to do with the fact that it is harder to make English papers the same level. It is much easier to make Maths papers the same level.

I am struggling to understand your logic. It can't be that difficult to set a compatible paper. You love the hype. I am sure if there is a different paper it will be compatible to the one sat this weekend. Stop putting doubt in people's minds where there is no need.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

People should have doubts. This whole situation is fishy.

The school should be able to allay those doubts by telling you how it's going to mark the tests and compare them. Ask them what they're going to do. They should be able to answer. It's pretty fundamental.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now