QE Boys Prep

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Crazy2018

QE Boys Prep

Post by Crazy2018 »

Hi All,

I would really appreciate help from all the experienced parents out there.

We are looking to sit DS (9yrs, Y5) for the QE boys entrance. Keeping in mind that it is a extremely competetive, I would like if some of you can advise me on what prep we need to do, how many papers and is NVR still needed?

The website has an extensive list of books we need to get through, and a wealth of information which is helpful but confusing. I'd appreciate if parents who have already been through the process can guide me.
scary mum

Re: QE Boys Prep

Post by scary mum »

You might be better posting this in the Barnet section, or asking a mod to move it. Just be aware that QE questions usually provoke a lot of discussion about the school, not always answering the question people have actually asked. I'm not from your area, but as a starting point, have you looked here? https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ld-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

OP, questions about prep for QE boys are best posted in the Herts and North London section, mods could you move this please?

The QE boys exam is one of the most straight forward of all the North London exams, no second round, no NVR, no VR, no CEM, just two papers in one sitting, multiple choice English and Maths. The scores are simply added together for a final total.

The 2017 exam is in six days time so stick around as there is bound to be plenty of discussion about it in the next few days. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Daogroupie wrote:just two pages in one sitting, multiple choice English and Maths.
Perhaps, 2 papers. Is that what you meant, DG?
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

The following threads have useful info:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 71&t=49158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 71&t=44833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
starwaterlily

Post by starwaterlily »

Daogroupie wrote:OP, questions about prep for QE boys are best posted in the Herts and North London section, mods could you move this please?

The QE boys exam is one of the most straight forward of all the North London exams, no second round, no NVR, no VR, no CEM, just two papers in one sitting, multiple choice English and Maths. The scores are simply added together for a final total.

The 2017 exam is in six days time so stick around as there is bound to be plenty of discussion about it in the next few days. DG
Is there any way mods could prevent info about the QE paper from being discussed since the children who are sitting the Surrey school exams have been given an alternate date. Not really fair to the children sitting the test on the 19th of Sep if the paper (assuming it is the same) gets discussed.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We don't allow discussion of test details, info, timings, number of questions etc to be posted on the forum until we know there will b no more taking that test. When we see info being given we edit out with a note or sometimes remove the post completely if necessary.
However we can't be everywhere, so if anyone sees test details being posted, please report the post by clicking the red ! Mark at bottom right of the post. This makes it easier for us Mods to spot.
Thank you
starwaterlily

Post by starwaterlily »

That's great to know, thanks! Agree on the part where you say that complete discussion cannot be prevented since outside of the forum I am sure there is a population the size of a small country discussing it! :lol:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Starwaterlilly,

You misunderstood my meaning. I did not mean discussing the contents of the paper. Over 50 boys sat the backup date last year so that would be very unwise.

We have already had three of the four major selective exams in North London this year with silence about the contents of all three of these papers so there is no reason why we can't manage the same with the QE exam. DG
starwaterlily

Post by starwaterlily »

Daogroupie wrote:Starwaterlilly,

You misunderstood my meaning. I did not mean discussing the contents of the paper. Over 50 boys sat the backup date last year so that would be very unwise.

We have already had three of the four major selective exams in North London this year with silence about the contents of all three of these papers so there is no reason why we can't manage the same with the QE exam. DG
That's reassuring to know and sorry if I came across as misunderstanding what you wrote.