Any thoughts on St Michael's test results date?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CestMoi

Re: Any thoughts on St Michael's test results date?

Post by CestMoi »

@AngelinaN1- I am sorry to read that. It seems like a very strong field this year, judging from std scores. I wish your DD great success wherever she goes.
gulat

Post by gulat »

Posting this on behalf of a friend:

Her DD has for St Michael Catholic Grammar school (Rank in the top 100). Based on historical allocation she feels she can get into St M

Has any one on the forum have children in St Michael who can provide the good and the bad so that she can make a informed decision. So far she hasnt been able to get a lot of information on St M other than during the open evening

Her DD was put off slightly by St M as the desk she was sitting on for her exam had words that I cant repeat on the forums and also noticed a few older girls mis behaving at McDonalds when we were there celebrating her efforts for St M.

Any inputs greatly appreciated
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

gulat wrote:Posting this on behalf of a friend:

Her DD has for St Michael Catholic Grammar school (Rank in the top 100). Based on historical allocation she feels she can get into St M

Has any one on the forum have children in St Michael who can provide the good and the bad so that she can make a informed decision. So far she hasnt been able to get a lot of information on St M other than during the open evening

Her DD was put off slightly by St M as the desk she was sitting on for her exam had words that I cant repeat on the forums and also noticed a few older girls mis behaving at McDonalds when we were there celebrating her efforts for St M.

Any inputs greatly appreciated
I think your friend's daughter needs to take that sort of thing with a pinch of salt. She'll have to be more resilient to deal with things that will happen that are more serious than desk graffiti and mucking about in McDonalds.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

It's a great school with committed teachers, supportive parents and a strong Christian ethos. It doesn't suit the "rebel" child who will find the rules and focus stifling. However there is a real sense of humour among the girls which is (mostly!) enjoyed the staff. The girls can arrive at any time and are given freedom of the school - it's all about trust. The merit system is also very encouraging and recognises all types of contribution.

There is a surprising amount of extra curricular activities such as netball, cross country, badminton, dance etc. and various clubs that change each term like football, cheerleading etc.

The school suits..
- Families who do not want a highly stressed environment. There is no streaming in the early years, no class positions are given out, no family pressure etc. We don't know a child who is tutored. There may be some but it is not usual
- Families who like firm rules and will help their child follow them
- Bright children. The pace is fast and if a girl just about manages to get in with excessive tutoring, it'll be a tough 7 years.

It doesn't suit:
- Rebellious girls who like to break the rules
- Families who expect the personal experience like you'd get at a private school. Very few children come from preps, unlike HBS and others.
- A child who gets in with excessive tutoring but I say the same about all the North London selectives.

As to your friends comments..! They are teens and a certain amount of rebellion is normal. They are not allowed to hang out in uniform in N Finchley so they must have been the rebels!
gulat

Post by gulat »

Thanks Anotherdad and CestMoi

@Anotherdad: Friends DD is very sensitive and reserved so I completely understand why the things she saw effected her. Completely agree your comment on resilience.

@ CestMoi thank you very much for your feedback.
BGGSM

Post by BGGSM »

Interesting view C’est Moi. Thanks for the insight! DD ranked in the top 20 and we’re so immensely grateful to God, but also very proud of her efforts. We’re in no doubt as to what our 1st choice is now. Nonetheless, I’d really appreciate if you could elaborate on what you meant by:

“The girls can arrive at any time... :?

and

- Families who expect the personal experience like you'd get at a private school. Very few children come from preps, unlike HBS and others.”

Thanks
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

@BGGSM - happy to answer any questions!

Unlike many schools where the doors open at (say) 8am or some other fixed time, the school is open early to allow for early arrivals. My own daughter has on occasion had to get in early for some project work and arranged to meet friends at 7am, and the form rooms are open already. There is also considerable access to the computer rooms in order to do homework etc.

On the point about not being a private school.. St M is a busy state school like all the others here - they educate the kids well and nurture them along the way, but there won't be opportunities for school coffee mornings or cheese-and-wine evening receptions like you get at independent schools. Suits me just fine, but if you're used to that, it may be a shock.
llhj

Post by llhj »

It’s an exceptionally good school which is very religious. The girls are safe and form strong friendships. It’s very ethnically diverse compared to Latymer and DAO. There’s a very different atmosphere to HBS which is much more competitive and pressured. It has all the problems of all selective school but it is small and the girls are known.
BGGSM

Post by BGGSM »

@C’est Moi! Thanks so much for clearing that up!! Phew!!When you said they were allowed to arrive anytime, I was hoping you didn’t mean any time after 8:30/ 9:00am i.e. when school starts. Got me a little worried there. :x I was thinking that was a bit too much freedom!

Also as a full time working mum, the lack of ‘personal experience’ suits me just fine too!!! We’re coming from a state school, so not entirely something I’m used to anyway!

Thanks @llhj. That’s very helpful to know too. We’re looking forward to it!
BGGSM

Post by BGGSM »

Quick one! As we already submitted SIF, etc. forms for St Michael’s earlier on in June, we’re not expected to send in any additional information, other than to make our selections on the CAF and submit, right?

Ta.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now