Any thoughts on St Michael's test results date?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Canary

Re: Any thoughts on St Michael's test results date?

Post by Canary »

There were 3 no-shows (1 in each form) and a 4th desk still to fill. Shocking.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am afraid some parents are selfish, thinking only of their own family.

I know of parents of twins who held onto six places all the way through the summer stating that their dc had earned them so they would make the decision when it suited them.

So four students missed all the inductions days and start of term and bought another uniform.

Schools have got very good and chasing and taking away the spaces though.

Having inductions days and cats tests early in June does help as it starts to identify those who are not really serious about taking the space.

So how does getting to place 138 compare with previous years? DG
Demetra2018

Post by Demetra2018 »

If our assumption is right that the school offered up to 138, then it means +1 compared to last year as they did call up to 137 last year. It is not just the parents, also they councils did a poor job. 1 decline was known by me in July as got to know from the mum. Despite she did inform the councils nothing happened. Lots of burocratic inefficiencies!
Good luck to the girls who tried the exam this week!! xx
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

There was 1 no-show last year. Why do you think that there were 4 this year? Perhaps late back to school instead..

The school do all they can to avoid this: child and parents come to meet a member of the leadership team, an induction day, a BBQ, money for aprons etc.. Hard to see what else they could do.
Canary

Post by Canary »

I’m not blaming the school for the no-shows. I’m shocked that parents would not inform the school that they have no intention of taking the place particularly when there are so many on the waitlist. This of course has a domino effect with other children swapping schools at the start of term.

My DD had a new girl take the place of a no-show and her friends in both the other forms said the same about their forms. Plus one of them states there is still an empty desk in her class due to a no-show. There was also a 5th empty desk but this has now been filled by a child who missed a flight back from summer holidays.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So five no-shows on the first day of term?

That has to be a record surely?

Extraordinary that parents would leave it until the day before term starts to fly back home, especially first day at a new school. This is a day that never comes again.

What is the total intake? DG
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

This is extraordinary and highly unusual for St M. If true - 11 year olds can get carried away with a theory - I suspect it's down to people keeping a state school open and then choosing to take the independent school. There is a prep closer to London who attend the exam but whose children rarely take a place. I am NOT of course suggesting the no-shows are from that school as I don't know.

DG - the intake is 96.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

It could also be down to the building work which you just can't miss when you visit the school. It looks more disruptive than it is. My DD reports that the portacabin classrooms are better than those in the old building they are knocking down!
Canary

Post by Canary »

Yes that is extraordinary but you are right about 11 year olds getting carried away! From what I can gather, there were 2 definite no-shows, 1 late holiday and ? around the other 2. If what the girls have said is correct, the last rank may have reached 140.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you.

So is it three forms of 32? DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now